Tuesday, September 22, 2020

Thoughts on Writer's Voice by Emily Wickham

“For Thou didst form my inward parts; Thou didst weave me in my mother’s womb. I will give thanks to Thee, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made; Wonderful are Thy works, And my soul knows it very well.” Psalm 139:13-14, NASB 

Years ago a friend told me I was very relational. I’d never thought of that—nor have I ever forgotten. Her observation granted me insight about my God-given personality and how that shapes my approach toward others. This desire to relate well even impacts my writing. I desire to engage every reader’s mind and touch each one’s heart because the Lord fashioned me to do so. 

Writing enables me to express myself. As one who processes information slowly, I think more clearly when I write. My husband, on the other hand, can think quickly in the midst of speaking, an ability I admire. We communicate differently, but that’s okay because God uniquely designed each of us. 

While it’s appropriate to respect another person’s strengths, it’s detrimental to overlook our own. We might be tempted to imitate another writer’s style, thinking, “If I could just write like so-and-so, readers would multiply.” For instance, my sister possesses tremendous writing skills—her words stimulate the imagination and cause me to feel as though I’m within reach of the sights and sounds she describes. Her use of imagery exceeds my own. 

She’s a much better writer than I am… 

Yes, that thought has bruised me from time to time. But God has taught me the value of being me. Using my voice. Expressing my feelings and thoughts in accordance with His design of me. 

The Lord has entrusted certain strengths to each of us, which we should recognize with gratitude. I might not excel at thinking quickly in certain circumstances, and I often struggle to create images with words, but God enables me to listen well, observe beyond the surface, and offer biblical perspective. These skills translate into my writing, prompting me to pen compassionate, thoughtful pieces that implement God’s Word. 

Let’s thank the Lord for the way He made us. He knew what He was doing when He formed each of us in our mother’s womb. As Psalm 139:14 says, we’re “fearfully and wonderfully made.” God’s works are wonderful. Do we understand His works include us? 

Be. You. 

Allow your personality and your heart to shine through the words you write. Be confident in using your God-given voice. And know that the Lord will continue to shape you along with your skills as you progress on your writing journey. 

A Writing Exercise: 

• List five aspects of your personality and explain how each one complements your writing. 
• In a few sentences, describe how your writing is unique (like you!). 
• Journal a prayer. Ask God to increase your ability to use your voice for His glory. 

I’d love to hear what you come up with! Please feel free to share below.

Allow your personality and your heart to shine through the words you write. via @emilywickhamPH @MaryAFelkins #WritersLife #Writing #SeriouslyWrite

Note: Thoughts on Writer's Voice" first appeared on April 2, 2019, www.proclaiminghimtowomen.com.

Emily Wickham seeks to stir hearts toward Jesus. She writes for LifeWay, speaks at ladies’ events, and shares “Devotions for Women” videos on social media. Emily encourages Christian women plus equips Christian writers on her blog, www.proclaiminghimtowomen.com. She is the author of one Bible study, which was translated into Spanish in 2016. Emily, a resident of North Carolina, is Mark’s wife of 30+ years. They are the blessed parents of four adult children and two daughters-in-love. God’s faithfulness and love inspire Emily on her journey through life as she purposes to exalt Christ through written and spoken words. 

Connect with Emily: 

Alcanzando la Justicia
Do you know any missionaries to Spanish-speaking women? Or, is your church involved in outreach to the Hispanic community? Emily would love to put her Bible study on Esther into their hands, and she’s willing to fundraise for this purpose. Please see her website for more information. You also can purchase Alcanzando la Justicia on Amazon.