Friday, August 28, 2020

What is Your Superpower? by Pattie Frampton

Meme of a Superhero Woman

What is Your Superpower? 

I hate excuses. Just ask my kids. While they were growing up, excuses were strongly discouraged, and they often came with consequences.

Me?

Making excuses is my superpower!

What exactly is an excuse?

As a noun, it is a reason or explanation given to justify a fault or offense. As a verb, an excuse is to disregard as unimportant or insignificant.

Other words for an excuse are condone, defend, or vindicate, to name a few.

George Washington Carver once said, “Ninety-nine percent of failures come from people who have a habit of making excuses.”

It was Eve who made the first excuse in the garden of Eden. “The serpent made me do it.”

Moses tried to make excuses as to why he wasn’t fit to be the leader God chose him to be.

What does all this have to do with the writing journey?

I know you’ve already figured this out.

I can make excuses all day about why I didn’t meet my writing goals. It’s easier to make excuses than face the reasons why I’m doing it.

One reason I make excuses is the “should” syndrome.

There will always be things that seem more important. When you work from home, it’s easy to get distracted by things that should be getting done while you’re holed up in your office playing with imaginary friends, researching a setting, or plotting the demise of a villainous character.

When my muse keeps hitting the snooze button, or staring out the window holds more appeal than watching a blinking curser, excuses are spun like the stories I aspire to write.

Fear of failure or the unknown is a common reason for excuses. Not having a specific goal or motivation is another. What about blaming others for the misuse of your time? “So-and-so asked me to help them with this-and-that, so I didn’t get my words in today.”

Another mistake I make is comparing myself to others. When a favorite author releases a book and I tell myself I could never write as well as they do, it’s an excuse. I can only be me. I have a voice unique and wonderful. I can’t write like they do, nor should I. I have to hone my own gifts and talents that God gave me for His intended purpose.

The opposite of making an excuse is taking responsibility.

Why is this so hard for many of us? Take a good, hard look in the mirror and ask yourself, “Why is this so scary? What am I fearing? Why am I not motivated? What is the worst that can happen if I make a mistake?”

Prioritizing time and setting boundaries is important. Change your attitude. Believe in yourself. Visualize your success. Trust that God is on this journey with you.

2 Timothy 1:7 says “But God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control.” ESV Pray and listen. “I go before you. Seek My guidance and direction. I know the story I want to write through you.”

I’ll let you in on a little secret. I have two superpowers. The other involves procrastinating…but that’s a story for another day.

What is your superpower? 




The opposite of making an excuse is taking responsibility. Why is this so hard for many of us? #seriouslywrite #encouragementforwriters via @lovesportslove

I can make excuses all day about why I didn’t meet my writing goals. It’s easier to make excuses than face the reasons why I’m doing it. #seriouslywrite #encouragementforwriters via @lovesportslove

Change your attitude. Believe in yourself. Visualize your success. Trust that God is on this journey with you. #seriouslywrite #encouragementforwriters via @lovesportslove




Repossessing Christmas

A public man hiding from his pain.

Major league shortstop Max Southerton returns home each offseason to drive a tow truck for his uncle. Here he finds solace with his faith and the only family he has left. While repossessing a car, he meets a tenacious young woman down on her luck, and his heart starts yearning for something he shouldn’t want and doesn’t deserve.

A private woman outrunning an ugly past.

After four years in prison, Jenner Kincaid is starting her life over with a second shift job and God on her side. While her optimism outweighs her fortunes, she’s convinced it’s enough until she meets a stubborn tow truck driver who won’t take no for an answer. Can a moment of God’s grace bring two guarded hearts together?

As their friendship grows and hearts entangle, Jenner comes face to face with her greatest mistake. Can she let Max go before her past destroys him? 




Pattie Frampton
is a tea drinker living in the coffee capital of the world. Married for over thirty years, she is the mother of four children and soon-to-be grandmother of two. When she’s not penning Christian romance, because who doesn’t love a happily-ever-after, she is the family genealogist, an award-winning quilter, and a rescue dog mom.

Her first book, a Christmas novella, was released in Oct. 2017. She is a member of American Christian Fiction Writers, Northwest Christian Writer’s Association and Novel Academy.

You can find Pattie at:

Author Website: www.pattieframpton.com

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/PattieFramptonAuthor

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/

Twitter: @lovesportslove

Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/36366969-repossessing-christmas?ac=1&from_search=true&qid=td73e8J9mz&rank=1

Amazon Author Page: https://www.amazon.com/Pattie-Frampton/e/B07647R2WS/