Friday, August 14, 2020

My Journey to Publication by Jeanette Morris



Writers may have similar or vastly different reasons for pursuing publication. Regardless, we can all learn from each other along the way. Today, author Jeanette Morris shares her personal journey. ~ Dawn

My Journey to Publication 

I was a voracious reader as a child (and still am.) I loved the children’s classics, like Alice in Wonderland, Black Beauty, Heidi–and actually still have my collection of those treasurers. I also devoured Nancy Drew mysteries as a pre-teen. My taste in reading changed dramatically when I read Elizabeth George Speare’s The Bronze Bow. I became so drawn to historical fiction–moving on later to James Michener, where I discovered a pot of gold in that genre.

For the past 17 years, I have been working as a freelance editor. At some point during my growth as an editor and writing coach/mentor for some clients, I was convicted about offering guidance for something I hadn’t done myself. My publishing credits included small pieces–devotionals, articles, blog posts, and ghostwriting for clients, etc. I wanted to see if I could actually write a novel.

I started attending writer’s conferences–attending the workshops and major tracks, having my writing critiqued, exploring the many options for becoming a published writer. I had mentors, critique group partners, and also just a lot of “BIC” (bottom in chair) time. I studied the craft. Honed my skills. And leaned heavily into the encouragement of professionals who saw potential that I couldn’t see in myself.

What I like to write doesn’t necessarily fall into a specific genre. I write what I call “authentic fiction.” That might seem like an oxymoron to some (how can fiction be “real”?), but the idea is to offer readers a story that rings true, that is based on actual circumstances, and that has a message of truth that resonates.

If I could offer a few words of advice to new writers, I would tell them to spend equal amounts of time practicing your craft and getting instruction/feedback from professionals. (The best place for that is writing conferences.) And then, be persistent but teachable. You aren’t too old or too young to be published.

Outside of reading and writing, I have many other interests! My husband and I are “retired” – so we do travel quite a lot. I knit on our road trips. And we spend the summer in our 5th wheel RV in the Eastern Sierra mountains where we go trout fishing nearly every day. I am on the leadership team for women’s ministry at my local church. And I have grandchildren to pamper and dote on.

But my heart is in Samara, Russia (the setting of my debut novel). I have been travelling there annually since 2001 on mission support trips. Each year adds more depth, more richness to my immersion experience. My friends there are priceless gifts, and their willingness to share the details of their lives gives me such insight into Russian culture as well as their struggles and triumphs. 


At some point during my growth as an editor and writing coach/mentor for some clients, I was convicted about offering guidance for something I hadn’t done myself. #seriouslywrite #awritersjourney via @jemorris1

What I like to write doesn’t necessarily fall into a specific genre. I write what I call “authentic fiction.” #seriouslywrite #awritersjourney via @jemorris1





My debut novel, which released last September, is titled Her Shining Eyes. The story takes place in post-Soviet Russia (the early 1990s) during a tumultuous period in Russia’s history. Fourteen-year-old Irina Kotova, who aspires to be a concert violinist, is unexpectedly removed from her home when her mother is arrested. Irina is taken across the city to a boarding school where Russia’s “throw-away” children are sent. There, she sinks into despair and is bullied by her classmates–one boy in particular who keeps reminding her that “nobody cares.” If not for the brief glimmer of hope supplied by a foreign visitor and her translator, Irina would have succumbed to her dark thoughts and grief. But will she ever have a normal life again?

Her Shining Eyes has a 5-star rating on Amazon.com. It is also available at Barnes and Noble and on my publisher’s website:
 www. Boldvisionbooks.com

Please visit my author website: www.jeanette-morris.com and read more about Her Shining Eyes, my journey to publication, some reviews of books I have enjoyed, AND get some authentic Russian recipes.

Other places to connect with Jeanette and learn more:

Facebook https://www.facebook.com/jeanette.a.morris.7

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/jeanette.a.morris.7

Twitter: www.twitter.com/jemorris1