Wednesday, August 19, 2020

Great is His Faithfulness By Patty Smith Hall

This week was supposed to be our yearly vacation to the beach. It’s that one time throughout the year that my husband and I would completely disconnect from our phones and computers and enjoy some much-needed downtime. I’d take morning walks along the shoreline as I listened to my devotions, then join Danny in the pool for an hour before going back upstairs. While he settled into his game, I’d grab my book and a cold drink, and hunker down on the balcony for a long stretch of uninterrupted reading.

But the rise in COVID cases as well numerous doctor’s appointments for Danny pushed us to stay home this year.

Bummer.

It’s the same feeling I get knowing there won’t be any in-person writing conferences this year, at least, not for me. I’m not in this alone. Just go to Facebook or any writing email loop, and you’ll find dozens if not hundreds of writers voicing their disappointment. Yes, we can participate in online conferences, and I would encourage you to do so (ACFW is always a great one, but there’s many more out there) yet, it’s not the same as meeting face to face, making those human connections with those who understand us best.

But guess what? This, too, shall pass.

‘Through the Lord’s mercies, we are not consumed. They are new every morning; Great is Your faithfulness.’
Lamentations 3:22-23

Every morning when I’m preparing for my workday, this flowering plant that hangs on my railing greets me. Tiny buds are just beginning to reveal the bright pink petals, a burst of color even on the drabbest of days. By midday, the blooms are opened wide, the vines reaching their outstretched arms toward heaven, not detoured by the pouring rain or bright sunshine. As the day ends, the flowers close and shrivel, but the new morning, new blossoms burst forth, ready for their moment in the sun.

My plant serves as a reminder to me of God’s mercy, fresh every day, whether I’m in a raging storm or on calm seas. At this moment, when our lives are upended, remember COVID didn’t take God by surprise. He has a plan for us and our writing. He’s growing us. Just like my plant.



Guess what? This, too, shall pass. via @pattywrites #SeriouslyWrite


~~~~~~


Patty Smith Hall lives in North Georgia with her husband of 36+ years, Danny. Her passion is to write tender romances based in little-known historical moments. The winner of the 2008 ACFW Genesis award in historical romance, she is published with Love Inspired Historical, Barbour and Winged Publishing, and is a contributor to the Seriously Writing blog as well as Journey magazine. Patty is represented by Tamela Hancock Murray of the Steve Laube Agency. 

Hearts in Flight

Serving her country as one of the Women's Army Special Pilots is Maggie Daniels's dearest wish. But there are obstacles to overcome above and beyond the enemies in the Pacific, including her overprotective family, skeptical fellow pilots—and handsome, distant squadron leader Wesley Hicks. Whatever it takes, Maggie will prove herself to Wesley, until she succeeds in winning his admiration…and love.

Wesley can see that Maggie's a first-class pilot. She's also too fearless by half. The war has cost Wesley so much already. Can he let go of his guilt for a chance at happiness—and can he learn to trust in God…and Maggie…enough to believe in love for a lifetime?