Wednesday, August 12, 2020

Don’t Feel LEFT Out By Patti Jo Moore

Happy Left-Hander’s Day, my friends! Yes, August 13 is a special day for those of us who are southpaws. I’d be curious to know if anyone reading this post today is a leftie! If you are, I’m sure you’ve learned over the years that our world is not a “left-handed world” LOL. At one time, my doctor used a sign-in sheet for patients. The pen was attached to the clipboard—on the right side, of course. Not a big deal, but a little awkward for those of us using our left hand.

One spring semester in college I took a tennis class, and happened to be the only leftie in the entire class. When the instructor noticed, I received “special instruction” (yes, at nineteen I was embarrassed because I just wanted to blend in with the class). πŸ˜‰

There have actually been times when I’ve written a check in the grocery store and a curious shopper behind me would ask, “How on earth do you write using that hand?” I would smile politely and tell them if I used my other hand, the check wouldn’t be legible!

After hearing various comments and even jokes over the years about left-handers, I always notice when an employee in a store is a leftie. I’ve gotten in the habit of smiling and telling them that I’m also a leftie, and then I add: “You know we’re special.” 😊 It’s fun to see their reaction, because they always nod and agree heartily with me.

As writers, we may identify with lefties at times in how we do things. Maybe you’re in a critique group with writers who are extensive plotters, with numerous details ironed out before writing a story. Maybe you’re the only one in the group who does not plot out your story, but instead you just write—learning what happens as you go along. Or maybe a certain type of fiction is taking off, and some of your writer friends have jumped on the bandwagon, all writing stories in that genre. You might start wondering if you, too, should head in that direction, even though that’s not where your heart is. After all, most folks seem to like being “part of the group” and participating in what our friends and colleagues are doing (or in this case, writing).

But just as it would be foolish for a left-handed person to force herself to use her right hand, it’s not good for writers to force themselves to write in a style or genre that’s not where their heart is. In my humble, left-handed πŸ˜‰ opinion, I think if a writer doesn’t truly have her/his heart in a story, it shows. Readers are smart, and they can discern more than authors realize sometimes. So may I encourage my fellow writers to do what works for you, and don’t feel left out if your style or genre is different from those around you. Just keep writing!

If you are a leftie, what challenges have you noticed in using your left hand?

I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made. Psalm 139:14 

But just as it would be foolish for a left-handed person to force herself to use her right hand, it’s not good for writers to force themselves to write in a style or genre that’s not where their heart is. @seriouslywrite @weldon_terri



Amazon Buy Link

Sadie's Dream

In a coastal Georgia town in 1900, a young woman prepares to serve as a missionary in Africa.

After being jilted the previous year, she's certain she's meant to remain single.

When she meets a handsome businessman from Savannah, she begins struggling with doubts.

Over time she learns that the Lord's plans are best, and dreams really can come true. 



Patti Jo Moore is a retired kindergarten teacher and lifelong Georgia girl. She loves Jesus, her family, cats, and coffee, and is blessed to be published with Forget-Me-Not Romances. When she’s not spending time with her family (including her two sweet grandbabies) or writing her “Sweet, Southern Stories” Patti Jo can be found feeding cats—her own six and local strays.

She loves connecting with readers and other writers, and can be found on Facebook at Author Patti Jo Moore or her personal blog at http://catmomscorner.blogspot.com