Monday, August 17, 2020

Fight the Good Fight by Patty Nicholas-Boyte

2 Timothy 4:7-8 (NIV) 7 I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. 8 Now there is in store for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day—and not only to me, but also to all who have longed for his appearing. 

As I prayed about what God would have me say to writers in the middle of a pandemic, he reminded me of this passage. When Paul wrote this to Timothy, he was in the last days of his life. He reflected on his ministry and he gave final words of encouragement to the young pastor. 
I think of the many times I have fought through a deadline or a difficult assignment. Sometimes just the act of putting words to a page can be a fight. When Paul said he fought the good fight, I know he was talking about ministry, however, I know that God has called me to be a writer as part of my ministry.

In the Amplified version, “fight the good fight,” tells that “the fight that is worthy, honorable and noble.” Writing is a noble cause, it is worthy and it is honorable. Therefore, it is worth the fight. The passage also tells us to finish the race. 

Of the many things in life like a marathon writing is at the top of my list, as I sure it is for other writers. Writing takes practice, hard work and perseverance. The fight is not giving up. No matter how many times we receive a rejection, no matter how many times we struggle to find the time to write and have to squeeze something else in life to eek out an hour here or there to work on a project, keep working. 

I find my best writing comes when I have spent time with God first, even if I only have a limited amount of time, if I seek His will for my project, it always flows better and when I am persistent, I can finally get to the two most satisfying words for a writer. “The End.” 

What will you do with the fight you are battling? What kind of race would you say you are running and are you weary? Remember the words of Paul to his protégé Timothy. Fight the good fight. Do not give up. God has given you a voice, and words to share with others. He will see you through and He also gives good rewards when we are faithful.

Multi award winning writer, Patty Nicholas-Boyte lives with her Husband Brian in the mountains of North Carolina. She is a busy event planner for the Billy Graham Training Center at the Cove, and is a member of the Blue Ridge Writers Group. She is a mother of two grown daughters and grandmother of three. She writes Bible studies and devotionals as well as contemporary romance. 

Patty Nicholas-Boyte

She is a regular contributor to the Cove Blog.
Devotions are published in compilations by Lighthouse Bible Studies.
facebook.com/patty.l.nicholas
twitter.com/PattyNicholas2
https://thecove.org/blog

Heart Renovation a Construction Guide to Godly CharacterFeed Your Soul