Thursday, July 9, 2020

Who Are You? By Patti Jo Moore

Many years ago, I was in a local store with my three children. A nice lady approached us, greeting me enthusiastically and asking how I’d been. The more she talked, the more obvious it became she knew me. She did most of the talking, and a few minutes later, we went our separate ways. When we’d gotten further away, my oldest daughter whispered to me, “Who was she?” I shook my head and replied, “I have no idea. No idea at all.”

Later we laughed about that incident, although I never figured out where I’d met her. But it was likely at one of the schools where I’d taught, or maybe she’d visited my church. Or we could’ve chatted at a Little League baseball game. Yet as she’d chattered away in a friendly tone, I could not bring myself to ask, “Who are you?”

Thinking about that incident recently made me think about my fictional story characters, and how important it is for me to “know” them. The more I learn about my characters, the more believable they can be in my stories. Beginning with a “Character Information” sheet for each main character, I jot down the basics: Physical appearance, Age, Education and job, family and friends, pets, hobbies, and so on. But I need to know more than these basics—I must know what my characters’ goals are, what motivates her/him, and what fears they have. And of course, there will be conflict for the characters in the story (confession: I still have a difficult time adding enough conflict, although I know it’s essential in stories!).

Some writers begin with a special setting in mind, others have their character(s) already formed, while other writers have a really good plot idea. Many writers have detailed plots and outlines of their stories before they actually begin writing. I admire these writers! But I am in the SOTP (“Seat of the Pants”) group, because for me personally, the joy in writing comes in discovering what happens next as my story progresses. Yet, I still *must* know my characters. And yes, even when a writer knows the character, that character can still “surprise” us sometimes. I become almost giddy when I’m writing, and a character says or does something that I didn’t expect. 😊

Again, for me personally, that’s the joy of writing fiction.

My current manuscript is almost completed, and then I’ll send it to my editor. I’ve been working (off and on) with this particular story since last Fall, but just haven’t been satisfied. Something was missing. A few days ago, a very important detail about my heroine came to me—something she’d been through in her past that has impacted how she feels now. Aha! “I wish you’d told me sooner, but that’s okay.” (No, I didn’t speak this aloud, only in my writer mind, LOL). But I knew that detail was what I needed to complete her journey in this story.

Even as I work hard on getting to know my characters, and enjoy writing about their individual journeys, I strive to remember that I always want my words to honor God. After all, He is the Master Storyteller!

And whatsoever ye do, do it heartily, as to the Lord, and not unto men. Colossians 3:23

A few days ago, a very important detail about my heroine came to me—something she’d been through in her past that has impacted how she feels now. Aha! “I wish you’d told me sooner, but that’s okay.”



...I strive to remember that I always want my words to honor God.





Sadie's Dream

In a coastal Georgia town in 1900, a young woman prepares to serve as a missionary in Africa.

After being jilted the previous year, she's certain she's meant to remain single.

When she meets a handsome businessman from Savannah, she begins struggling with doubts.

Over time she learns that the Lord's plans are best, and dreams really can come true.

Patti Jo Moore is a retired kindergarten teacher and lifelong Georgia girl. She loves Jesus, her family, cats, and coffee, and is blessed to be published with Forget-Me-Not Romances. When she’s not spending time with her family (including her two sweet grandbabies) or writing her “Sweet, Southern Stories” Patti Jo can be found feeding cats—her own six and local strays.

She loves connecting with readers and other writers, and can be found on Facebook at Author Patti Jo Moore or her personal blog at http://catmomscorner.blogspot.com