Monday, July 20, 2020

In Our Own Strength by Patty Nicholas-Boyte

Is it just me or has life sped up for me during the pandemic rather than slowed down? Instead of working from home, I am back, in-person at the office, which includes a myriad of meetings and schedule changes.  
My ministry life has also increased as my husband and I are on the leadership team for a new church and outreach team, which will launch in a few months. They have asked me to write the newsletter as well. 

In addition, for the next several weeks, I am working one on one with a writing coach and mentor. God as certainly blessed me with opportunity. The word blessed is actually an understatement for how I thankful I am for everything God has given me, but if I could, I would also add the word overwhelmed to my vocabulary. 

What I know about myself is that when I move into “get it done, high gear”, I try to do things in my own strength. I have to make a conscious decision to stop and seek God. 

I not only need to seek God’s will for every decision I make in life, I also need to look to Him for every word I write as well.

I not only need to seek God’s will for every decision I make in life, I also need to look to Him for every word I write as well. Click to tweet it!

When it seems like it would be counterproductive to stop from time to time, the slowdown has actually made a difference when I intentionally halted to spend time with the Lord for His will. 

Matthew 11:28-30 28 “Come to Me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest. 29 Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and YOU WILL FIND REST FOR YOUR SOULS. 30 For My yoke is easy and My burden is light.” 

Not only do I need to remind myself to give my burdens to God, I also have to remind myself the permission to take a break occasionally so that He can give me rest for my soul. When I fully rest in Him, then . . . 

Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Him who strengthens me. 

The words flow and not only that, but I know that the words I write will have more meaning and impact than if I tried to write in my own strength.


Multi award winning writer, Patty Nicholas-Boyte lives with her Husband Brian in the mountains of North Carolina. She is a busy event planner for the Billy Graham Training Center at the Cove, and is a member of the Blue Ridge Writers Group. She is a mother of two grown daughters and grandmother of three. She writes Bible studies and devotionals as well as contemporary romance. 
Patty Nicholas-Boyte

She is a regular contributor to the Cove Blog.
Devotions are published in compilations by Lighthouse Bible Studies.
facebook.com/patty.l.nicholas
twitter.com/PattyNicholas2
https://thecove.org/blog

Heart Renovation a Construction Guide to Godly CharacterFeed Your Soul