Friday, April 17, 2020

Ready, Aim, Write! by Kathleen Friesen

Kathleen Friesen

When we first begin writing, we may have a variety of reasons for putting pen to paper. We may try little of this and a little of that, with no real goal in mind. Author Kathleen Friesen shares part of her personal journey to publication and what helped give her direction. ~ Dawn

Ready, Aim, Write!

I must confess, the term “target audience” meant little until asked for whom I write. My initial response? “Anyone who will read my stories.” Bzzz! Incorrect.

Once the annoying buzzer noise faded, I pondered the question. The word “target” carried me back long, long ago to the camp I attended as a teen in Oregon where one of my favorite activities was rifle shooting. After safety instructions, we were led to an open field dotted with a line of targets in the distance. Far distance, as I recall. Our leader told us to lie on the ground with our propped elbows providing stability for the rifle, which was held securely against our shoulders. He then told us to close one eye, with the other peer down the open sight of the weapon and line it up with the middle of the target. We had to ease back on the trigger, brace for recoil, and Bam! Bullseye! Well, not at first, but with practice, I did manage a few impressive clusters.

When I began writing, it wasn’t directed; I simply needed to express myself. My weapon was my pen and paper (and later, computer), and the ammunition my thoughts and feelings. Since they weren’t shared with anyone, the lack of focus didn’t matter.

Once I dared to reveal my heart to readers, I continued to write mostly for myself while allowing others to peek into my soul. Scary! That was my first novel, Melody’s Song. It began as an assignment for Jerry Jenkins’s Christian Writers Guild where I was required to begin a novel. “Write what you know,” I was told. So Melody’s story began. She was a widow. I was not, but I’d worried plenty about becoming one. The more I wrote, the more of my life, terrors and hopes revealed themselves in this fictional character. My goal, in the beginning, was simply to complete the task and receive feedback and a good grade.

But Melody and the other characters wouldn’t leave me alone. It took five years of on-again, off-again writing before Melody’s story became a book. The assignment morphed into a dream. Perhaps my story could touch and encourage other women’s hearts. Without realizing it, I had a target audience: women who suffered, who wondered now and then if God really cared, who longed to feel secure. Women who needed to know they mattered. Just like me. Without actually aiming, I’d found a target.

My second novel, Nila’s Hope, both defined and broadened that objective. Introduced in Melody’s Song, Nila endured much more trauma than I’ve ever known. Her story hadn’t been planned, but Nila’s voice spoke even more loudly. She needed her story told, so my target audience grew to include abused women. Oh, how I longed to offer them the hope Nila found. However, being able to tell her story meant I needed an extra “propping” of research. I had to be accurate to be realistic. Some of what I learned hurt more than a rifle’s recoil, but my target made the pain worthwhile.

In each of my books, while some aspects of the stories aim at different groups, they have several things in common. As in my own experience, my characters tend to have average education and wealth—blue-collar people, no royalty or billionaires. The main characters are nowhere near perfect, but each one knows or comes to realize she needs the One who can meet her deepest needs. Faith is an integral part of each story as the characters, male and female, learn to trust Jesus Christ whatever their situation.

Words are the rifle, my imagination and God’s Word become the ammo, and research stabilizes the story aimed at real women seeking hope. This is my mission, my goal…my target.



When I began writing, it wasn’t directed; I simply needed to express myself. #seriouslywrite #encouragementforwriters via @KFriesenAuthor
I had a target audience: women who suffered, who wondered now and then if God really cared, who longed to feel secure. #seriouslywrite #encouragementforwriters via @KFriesenAuthor
Faith is an integral part of each story as the characters, male and female, learn to trust Jesus Christ whatever their situation. #seriouslywrite #encouragementforwriters via @KFriesenAuthor



Love is in the Air
All you have to do is look up.

This collection of five brand new romances is sure to send your heart soaring. Journey from Canada to Georgia and Colorado to Paris by way of Michigan as these couples find love is in the air. All they had to do was look up.

Titles include:

First Class Wrong Flight by Laura V. Hilton
A Castle in the Clouds by Candee Fick
Flying Into Love by Kathleen Rouser
To Gain Forever by Tanya Eavenson
Written in the Clouds by Kathleen Friesen

Boxed Set Releases on May 10, 2020

Pre-order now for 99 cents: Kindle, Nook, D2D UBL, Kobo, Apple


Kathleen Friesen writes contemporary stories of faith that overcome tough trials and deep heartaches. Her desire is for her readers to see themselves in the characters of her stories, and to realize that Jesus Christ is the true hero.

Kathleen spent her childhood in Washington and Oregon, and after marrying the Canadian man of her dreams, she moved to his country—the first thirty years in Saskatchewan, then several in British Columbia and recently, back to Saskatchewan. When not engrossed in a story, she loves visiting family and friends, glamping, and gardening.

Connect with her and learn more at the following online sites:

Author Website: https://kathleenfriesen.weebly.com/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/kathleenefriesen/