Thursday, April 16, 2020

No-No Naysayers Have You Down? Seek Out the Encouragers by Cynthia Herron

From the moment we’re born, encouragement takes root.

Mom and Dad cheer as we try and succeed at new things.

Friends motivate us with kind words and recognition.

Our influential sphere—confidantes and colleagues—inspire us to persevere and think beyond the comfortable.

During our life journey, as we mature, we realize the value of encouragement. It buoys us during life-stretching seasons. It strengthens our resolve and boosts our confidence.

It grows us in ways we don’t often recognize until we’re farther along on the path.

Perhaps, it’s this encouragement that shapes our next journey. Perhaps, it’s the sum of everything we’ve ever experienced and the realization that without the bad, we can’t fully appreciate the good.

We can’t inspire others in their journey unless we’ve struggled in our own. (I’ve shared my journeys here and here.)

And sometimes, we balk at the journey because, let’s be honest—the muck and mire part aren’t fun. The crud is real and it’s hard.

We may want to linger a while and absorb the emotion.

That’s okay.

For a time.

Then we move on.

We go to those bright spots that prompt joy—the ones that cause hope to surge.

Whatever your bright spot—writing, gardening, crafting or creating—here are five thoughts to consider during your journey.

I promise you’ll feel better.

1. Why Positive People Have More Fun – Have you met “Jackie”? Here’s why I ask.

2. How to Stay Motivated Despite Chronic Complainers – No-No Nellies will zap your energy. Healthy ways to disengage now.

3. Trapped By Doubt? Ditch It! – Sometimes, you’ll fail. Relax. You’ll move past it.

4. Ditch Doubt, Define Your Destiny – Reboot your mindset and reshape your thinking. Why your life depends on it.

5.Don’t Be Daunted by Dream-Crushers – Kick agendas to the curb. Reframe your focus.

Bonus: Why Joy Matters – Happiness isn’t a given. Truth beyond the crud.

Now, a little story for you.

When I was in grade school, I dreaded the possibility of one day having a specific teacher. Even as a child, I recognized his teaching style as iron-fisted and unyielding.

“Mr. Downer” (not his real name, of course) was tall, dark, and anything BUT handsome. His brooding countenance didn’t lend itself to attractiveness. He never had a kind word for the students and he rarely smiled. To complete the picture, Mr. Downer’s thick, bushy eyebrows beelined across his lower forehead making him seem perpetually frustrated.

The day I found out he was to be my teacher for the next school year, I promptly threw up. I wondered how I’d ever survive.

Already, I sensed he didn’t like me. Mr. Downer detested anything fun. Laughter, smiles, questions, creativity. You name it.

Still, just like my favorite heroine, Pollyanna, I pulled out my “glad card” and determined to be glad for at least three reasons:

• It could always be worse. I didn’t see how, but that’s the line I’d always heard adults use.

• Maybe Mr. Downer wasn’t such a grumpy soul after all. I bet I could cheer him up. And maybe, just maybe, a pig would fly.

• Perhaps, Mr. Downer was a great teacher. And one can put up with a lot if there’s motivation to learn. Good grades = grade advancement and a new teacher the following year.

I’ll never forget the morning I whispered to my neighbor…and got caught.

I was actually answering my classmate’s question, but of course, I was the one Mr. Downer heard.

Yikes.

Immediately, he summoned me to the front of the classroom.

“Recite the ABCs for us.”

Oh no.

I was in fifth grade. I knew Mr. Downer’s tactic, but I didn’t fully understand the term yet. I understood the emotion though. Humiliation.

“Um…oh…kaaay.”

I proceeded to rattle off the alphabet to the horror of all my classmates and to the smug satisfaction of Mr. Downer. AND, worse, he made me do it a second time.

“Slower.”

My stomach hurt. My knees knocked. The room swirled around me.

Mr. Downer gloated.

It was the longest 47 seconds of my life. To this day, I’ll never, ever forget it.

This experience shaped my life’s journey.

It didn’t define it, but it gave me perspective.

I resolved to encourage.

From that day forward, I would never, ever intentionally make anyone feel the way Mr. Downer had made me feel.

Only meanies use heavy-handedness. Only meanies force, coerce, manipulate, or maneuver.

Only meanies bully or belittle.

Encouragers, on the other hand, demonstrate integrity and compassion. They’re confident, not cocky.

Encouragers serve others. They gently guide and correct with the right motivation. They’re deliberate, but not in dehumanizing, devaluing kinds of ways.

Encouragers may make tough decisions for valid reasons, not to inflate their own egos, but to propel others forward toward a mutual God-sized mission.

Today, as you navigate your journey, think about your life calling. Look to those folks you admire and ask yourself why.

What is it about him or her that sets them apart?

Are they on a collision course with ego or a trajectory path to truth? (You know, truth for the sake of what’s right. Not what’s convenient or the next best thing.)

Evaluate a person’s character, his track record, and what he has to offer.

Encouragers don’t manufacture respect.

They own it without force. Creative angling isn’t necessary.

They’ve earned it.

Your takeaway?

Allow others to encourage you. Forego the drama. Forget theatrics.

As you soak up the sunshine, revel in it. Remember it.

Tuck all the “feels” down deep in your heart.

Trust your journey.

Share it.

***

How has someone encouraged you during your journey?

How can we motivate others who need a pick-me-up?


Cynthia writes Heartfelt, Homespun Fiction from the beautiful Ozark Mountains. Her Hope Discovered, her début novel and the first in a three-book series, released December 2018 with Mountain Brook Ink. 


“Cindy” has a degree in psychology and a background in social work. She is a member of ACFW, ACFW MozArks, and RWA. 

She is a 2020 Selah Award (Double) Finalist, a 2017 ACFW Genesis Finalist, a 2016 ACFW Genesis (Double) Finalist, and a 2015 ACFW First Impressions Winner. Her work is represented by WordServe Literary.

Besides writing, Cindy enjoys spending time with family and friends. She has a fondness for gingerbread men, miniature teapots, and all things apple. She also adores a great cup of coffee and she never met a sticky note she didn’t like.


Cindy loves to connect with friends at her online home. She also hangs out on Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest, and Instagram.


For love, fun, and encouragement ~

Sign up for Cindy’s monthly e-NEWSLETTERS

His Love Revealed, Welcome to Ruby, Book 2

Mountain Brook Ink, November 2020

Her Hope Discovered, Welcome to Ruby, Book 1

Mountain Brook Ink, December 2018