Thursday, January 20, 2011

The Writer’s Heart

Thursdays – Dawn’s Devotions for Writers

“I do not hide your righteousness in my heart;
I speak of your faithfulness and salvation.
I do not conceal your love and your truth from
the great assembly.”
(Psalm 40:10 NIV)


If someone asked you to explain the difference between secular and Christian writing, what would you say?

Both include self-help books, how-to articles, historical facts, and educational materials. But in a secular parenting book, the focus might be on using psychology in raising children, while the other would also include biblical wisdom.

Both secular and Christian novels include the following genres: historical, historical romance, contemporary romance, paranormal romance, westerns, mysteries, suspense, comedies, etc. But there’s a difference. Christian novels contain a spiritual theme—sometime overt, and sometimes a little more subtle.

In my opinion, along with the spiritual message, the work also includes the writer’s heart.

Or at least it should …

Christian writers don’t write for the sake of glory, fame, and big bucks. They write because God placed that passion in their hearts, and they’ve discovered a desire to share God’s love, grace, and forgiveness through the talent and gifts he’s given.

By writing with their hearts, they share God’s heart with readers.

I recently finished editing a book written by a young man who had escaped death several times. The danger he faced was due to circumstances he couldn't control. I worked for countless hours with him, rewriting every page. Though his writing needed help, his life was fascinating, and the faith that glared from the pages was a bright light during the late-night hours I sat with my laptop. I was blessed by this man’s words. He revealed his heart on every page.

I believe that just like a child knows whether an adult really likes him or not, a reader can discern the motivation behind an author’s work.

I encourage you to search your own heart. What’s inside that you can pour onto the pages you write?

Dawn