Thursday, January 27, 2011

The Seeds You Sow

Thursdays – Dawn’s Devotions for Writers

“As the rain and the snow
come down from heaven,
and do not return to it
without watering the earth
and making it bud and flourish,
so that it yields seed for the sower and bread for the eater,
so is my word that goes out from my mouth:
It will not return to me empty,
but will accomplish what I desire
and achieve the purpose for which I sent it.”
(Isaiah 55:10-11 NIV)


How many of you write blogs, but rarely receive comments? How many write for your church newsletter? How many have articles, devotions, short stories, and maybe even books published, but have received very little feedback from readers?

If we focus on the lack of accolades, we might occasionally allow it to get us down. We may wonder why we’re bothering to write at all. Is anyone even reading what I write? Does anyone care? Am I wasting my time?

If we focus on writing for God in obedience, and as a way to commune with him, praise from others won’t matter. But, sometimes that’s easier said than done. After all, we’re human right? And humans want and need affirmation. At least once in awhile. ;-)

Here’s some good news. Your work is not in vain!

What I’ve discovered is that far more people read my blogs than comment. When I do receive a note from someone who was helped or touched by something I’ve written, I'm blessed by it. I look at it as a tangible piece of evidence from God that I’m doing okay. I’m on the right track. Keep it up.

If only one person is challenged or drawn closer to God because of something we’ve put on paper, isn’t that worth our time and energy?

The Bible says that God’s word will not return empty. Even though we may not see or hear how our work has impacted someone—that doesn’t mean it hasn’t happened. All we need to know is that if we do our part, God will do the rest.

It may only take a small amount of soil for something to take root and flourish. If we sow the seeds, God will provide the water and whatever nourishment is needed to keep those seeds alive and growing.

This photo was taken in Brooklyn, New York, while visiting my daughter. On a long walk we spotted this plant growing above our heads. There had to be barely any dirt at all. Yet, there it grew!

Be encouraged, dear writers! And write on!

Dawn