Tuesday, June 29, 2010

God's Promises to Writers Series: Help!

Help!
God's Promises to Writers Series
Net's Notations Tuesdays

If you don't know what you're doing, pray to the Father.
He loves to help. You'll get his help, and won't be
condescended to
when you ask for it.
Ask boldly, believingly, without a second thought.

People who "worry their prayers" are like
wind-whipped waves.

Don't think you're going to get anything
from the Master that way,

adrift at sea, keeping all your options open. (James 1:5, MSG)

This same verse, in another translations, speaks of wisdom, which was last week’s promise. “If any lacks wisdom . . .” But I love how it warmly refers to God as our Father, ready and willing to help.

When was the last time you needed help in your writing? My answer: today. I spent the early part of the day editing a chapter of my WIP (work in progress) for critique group Dawn and I attend. I wanted to bring them something they wouldn’t expect and I needed God to inspire me. He did! I was surprised as I rewrote the scene. That’s key. Surprises in the writer lead to surprises for the reader. Yay!

How about you, when was the last time you needed help? Maybe you had writer’s block, or needed answers to some research questions. Maybe you were praying for a mentor and God brought one just in time to help guide you. Maybe you received a rejection on a dear project and needed help carrying on. Or perhaps got back some contest scores you hadn’t anticipated and the responses stung.

Aren’t you glad the same God who called you will help you when you need it? I’m convinced, though, that He wants us to humbly come ask Him for that help. It’s good for helping us keep 1 Corinthians 4:17 in mind.

For who makes you differ from another?
And what do you have that you did not receive?
Now if you did indeed receive it,
why do you boast as if you had not received it? (1 Cor. 4:7)

Here’s an invitation from our Affectionate Father:

“Let us therefore come boldly to the throne of grace,
that we may obtain mercy and find grace
to help in time of need.”
(Heb 4:16, NKJV)

I want to avail myself to that offer of help. God’s called us to write, and He won’t leave us without assistance. Rely on Him. He’s got this—exactly what you need. It’s one more of His promises to writers.