Friday, December 4, 2009

Part Two: Staying Grounded as Your Career Soars by Cheryl Wyatt

Please welcome back Cheryl Wyatt as she continues her series this Fortifying Friday.

Staying Grounded While Your Career Soars
By Cheryl Wyatt

Day 2 - Humility

When my debut sold, the celebratory outpouring of support from family and friends was enormous. I’ll always be thankful for that and remain hopeful for their dreams to come true, too.

I wasn’t prepared for how news that I’d sold a book thrust me from shadows of obscurity as a shy pray-er, into the title of “published author” in people’s minds. I love praying for others. My church, leaders, family, friends, strangers, etc. I have a tremendous love for orphans.

The only reason I asked God to get my writing to the point of making money was because half my heart is in pieces on the other side of the world. Strips of it tore away and clung like Band-aids to the motherless children in South Indian orphanages I visited after the big tsunami. It only takes $5,000 American dollars to build an orphanage for four hundred children. Multitudes are still homeless.

God’s answer to that prayer? “Write as worship.”

Well, okay but I wanted to be published. I wrote for free for years before I finally sold a book. Seven years later I was sitting at my desk when I sensed God ask again, “Will you always write as worship?”

“Yes, Lord. You know I will.” I chuckled because I knew He knew I would and He’d stay my heart to keep that promise.

I’m not kidding when I say THAT moment the phone rang. It was The Call.

That it happened as that answer left my lips was no coincidence. Any time I doubt this calling, God is gracious to remind me.

Every book sold means several hundred orphans have haven. I promised every penny to God for that purpose. No one knew.

So when people began saying things like, “You must be rolling in dough now” and other well-meaning but ridiculous and insensitive things, it honestly broke my heart. It was like all of a sudden no one knew the real me. I knew after soul-searching I hadn’t changed. I begged God to be sure this writing thing hadn’t gone to my head. I felt secure that I was still true to who God made me. I don’t view my writing as above any other gift. They each are important. My writing gives me more people to pray for.

People tend to either think too highly of themselves or too little. I fall in the latter category. I constantly fight negative voices telling me my writing’s not good enough. Guess what? Sometimes it’s not! LOL.

A line to one of my favorite songs says, “All I am is yours.”

I’m not a failure even though I fail. I am His. So are you. Take great comfort in that. Let’s never forget who we are or where we came from, no matter how successful we become. If you write as worship to the living God, you will be less likely to fall prey to pride when success is handed to you.

~ Cheryl Wyatt

Born Valentine’s Day on a naval base, Cheryl Wyatt writes military romance. Her Steeple Hill debuts earned RT Top Picks plus #1 and #4 on eHarlequin's Top 10 Most-Blogged-About-Books, lists including NYT Bestsellers. Check out her Web site.

Her latest book, Soldier Daddy, a Steeple Hill Love Inspired title, released in October, 2009.

U.S. Air Force commander Aaron Petrowski leads pararescue teams, yet can't find one nanny for his three-year-old twins? The widowed father is returning to duty, but not without the best care for his beloved boys.

So when Sarah Graham applies, the young woman surprises everyone by passing inspection. Until Aaron discovers Sarah has a secret tied to a tragedy in his past.


He can't keep her in his employ—or in his heart. Until his brave little soldier boys teach him a thing or two about love.