Thursday, October 22, 2009

How Will You Be Known?

Thursdays - Devotions for Writers

“Therefore, by their fruit you will know them.” (Matt. 7:20 NKJV)


As writers we can get caught up in branding.

You know . . . that thing that makes us stand out from other writers. That tag line that speaks to what we write, whether it’s fiction or non-fiction.

“Don’t forget to breathe . . .” lets you know when you open a Brandilyn Collin’s novel, you’ll find a story full of suspense.

Kim Sawyer uses “gentle stories of hope” for her historical romances.

You expect humor with Kathleen E. Kovach’s tag, “Spiritual Truth…With A Giggle.”

Some authors are so well known for their genre, they don’t need a tag line. Their name alone represents their brand.

Dr. James Dobson. Everyone knows what he stands for and what to expect from any publication written by him.

No one choosing a Stephen King novel would anticipate reading something lighthearted.

I hope to have a brand and a cool tag line some day.

But when I get caught up in my writing and desire to be published, I put this before me . . .

Even if I’m bearing fruit on the page and writing 3,000 words a day (I wish!) – how am I known to those around me?

“The fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self control.” (Galations 5:22-23 NIV)

More than my desire to be known for what I write, I want to be known for bearing fruits of the Spirit.

And you?

How will you be known?

Dawn