Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Grammar-O

Grammar-O Wednesdays
with Ocieanna


Welcome to grammar day on Seriously Write. If you visited last Wednesday, you know that Ocieanna, our good friend and fellow blog hostess, went into cardiac arrest on January 8. She’s doing well, but we're giving her a break from grammar. In the meantime, Annette and I (Dawn) will carry on in Ocieanna’s place until she returns. Please continue to keep her in your prayers. Thanks!


Ready to test your skills?

The following sentences may contain grammar, punctuation, spelling, or other writing misdemeanors. Your job is to find the infraction and set it right. Try not to look at the answers below.

Have fun!


Sentences to Correct:

1) Does God give gaurdian angles direction as to when they should step in and interveen? Or are they given a general command to watch over and protect?

2) I wonder how much they’ve had to do with the small and large miracles that have occur and effected my life.

3) Last week, while driving in traffic, without warning, a lady to the right and just ahead of me bolted to the left in front of me in order to drive around the car ahead of her, only to veer back into her original lane before slowing for a stoplight.

4) I did what I could to stop, I couldn’t drive into the oncoming traffic in the lane to the right of me. I’m sure I missed hitting her car by meere inches, but she drove on probably clueless as to what just happened.

5) I had to concentrate so hard on not hitting any other cars, I couldn’t even give her a warning honk on the horn.

6) Whew, it felt like my guardain angel stood as a bufer, between the two vehicles – mine and hers.



Corrected sentences:

1) 1) Does God give guardian angels direction as to when they should step in and intervene? Or are they given a general command to watch over and protect us?

2) I wonder how much they’ve influenced the small and large miracles that have occurred and affected my life.
Note: Here's an example of using a stronger verb (influenced) to replace four words.

3) Last week, while driving in traffic, a lady to the right and just ahead of me bolted in front of me without warning. Then she drove around the car ahead, only to veer back into her original lane before slowing for a stoplight.

4) I did what I could to stop; I couldn’t drive into the traffic in the lane to the right. I’m sure I missed hitting her car by mere inches, but she drove on, probably clueless as to what happened.

5) I had to concentrate so hard on not hitting any cars; I couldn’t even give her a warning honk on the horn.
Note: Did you notice that I left out the word other? If I had not hit any other cars, that would mean that I hit at least one car, which would be incorrect.

6) Whew! It felt like my guardian angel stood as a buffer between the two vehiclesmine and hers.

How well did you do?

*Disclaimer: Like Ocieanna, I’m by no means perfect at this. I use The Chicago Manual of Style and Webster’s Dictionary as my sources.