Tuesday, December 1, 2020

How to Have It All as a Christian Writer by Emily Conrad

 

Line of books

I’ve had the privilege of talking with a bunch of established novelists this year, and as you might guess, I’ve learned a lot. But perhaps what’s most striking is what I’m unlearning.

I’ve been active in the Christian writing community for years, and I’ve learned a set way of doing things. Write a manuscript, work with a bunch of critique partners, query agents, perhaps pitch to editors at conferences. If someone takes it, great! If not, okay, move on to the next manuscript. Repeat until publication.

I suppose I always knew there were exceptions to this. People who managed to succeed, despite bypassing one of those steps (or forging a completely different path by indie publishing or crowd funding their novels), but I considered them far and few between.

I thought the way I’d learned was the traditional way (and I suppose it is?). But along with that, an attitude crept in that suggested those who went a different way and succeeded were: 1) rare and 2) lucky cheaters.

Okay, that’s wording it a little strongly, but I definitely had strong ideas of what works and at least a little resentment against those who didn’t choose to jump through the same hoops I’d set up for myself.

But I’ve been learning a few things this year, and just in time, because it gives me a chance to share this with you in my final post for Seriously Write.


Stack of books

Here's the truth about the writing and publishing process:

Some writers use teams of critique partners or beta readers.

Some find their voices lost or their intentions muddied by the extra opinions.

Some writers hire a freelance editor to review their work prior to submitting to agents and publishing houses.

Some writers don't work with an editor until they're under contract with a publishing house.

Some writers publish their first book.

Some writers don’t publish until much later.

Some writers pitch their work at conferences.

Some writers make connections other ways and other places—including by accident!

Some writers enjoy working with small presses.

Some writers are disappointed by their experience with them.

Some writers happily independently publish. Some of those use crowd funding.

Some indie authors are successful, and some are unhappy with their results.

Some writers happily publish the traditional route, and some land their dream contract only to find it’s not the dream they thought it would be.

There's incredible variation, not only in how authors pursue publication, but in the results. No single path ever leads to a happy and fulfilled writing life 100% of the time.

I'd prefer the writing journey was a well-beaten path I could follow with guaranteed results. I'd like a to-do list that, if I could cross off all the items, I'd have the publishing career I've dreamed of.

But we just can't setback-proof a writing career. If you’re following an established path, thinking you’re safeguarding yourself from rejection or disappointment, think again.

We’re not promised tomorrow, much less book sales. There are no guarantees in publishing.

There are only guarantees in Jesus.

We’re promised that if we follow Jesus, He’ll fulfill His purpose for us. And first and foremost, His concern is for our souls, rather than our books.

And that's the way I prefer it. I'd much rather have my eternity secure than my future as a writer.

So, I'll follow Jesus. I'll seek to serve Him with my life.

As a writer does that, He'll direct His children in all things, including in writing.

 

man holding book

The personalized approach He leads me toward might look a little different than your approach to the writing life, and the strategy He leads you to might vary from your friends'.

It's all part of the adventure. It's all part of learning to listen and follow God's lead. It's having faith that He has our best interests at heart, no matter how unique the journey He leads us on is.

We have no need to resent or envy each other. No need to feel jealous or judge someone else's decisions. Recognizing that God is ultimately in control of all things, we have zero grounds to consider anyone a lucky cheater.

When God is our focus and our reward, those earthly endeavors topple off their pedestal. Because in the end, as followers of Christ, we're all promised the same ultimate reward, the only reward that matters: eternity with our Savior.

I may never hit a big bestseller list or publish another novel, but as a Christian writer, there is one way in which I have it all.

The most important way.

As long as I have Jesus, I have it all.

There's incredible variation, not only in how authors pursue publication, but in the results. No single path ever leads to a happy and fulfilled writing life 100% of the time. But as Christian writers we have help and hope. @emilyrconrad #seriouslywrite

I may never hit a big bestseller list or publish another novel, but as a Christian writer, there is one way in which I have it all. @emilyrconrad #seriouslywrite #amwriting #writetip

We’re not promised tomorrow, much less book sales. There are no guarantees in publishing. There are only guarantees in #Jesus. #faithwriter #seriouslywrite @emilyrconrad


Fueled by a desire to help women foster faith that flourishes even if and no matter what, Emily blogs and writes Christian romances. Though she likes to think some of her characters are pretty great, the ultimate hero of her stories (including the one she’s living) is Jesus. She lives in Wisconsin with her husband and enjoys gardening, road trips to the mountains, and walks with her energetic coonhound rescue.

Emily is a member of ACFW and uses her customer service background to act as WebChat Coordinator for hope*writers. She loves to connect with other writers and nature lovers on Instagram. You can learn more about her work here.






JUSTICE
https://www.amazon.com/Justice-Emily-Conrad-ebook/dp/B0792HGXQN/

The love of a lifetime, a quest for justice, and redemption that can only be found by faith.

Jake thought he was meant to marry Brooklyn, but now she's pregnant, and he had nothing to do with it.

Brooklyn can’t bring herself to name the father as she wrestles with questions about what her pregnancy means and how it will affect her relationship with Jake.

If Harold Keen, the man who owns the bookstore across from Jake's coffee shop, has anything to do with it, the baby will ruin them both.

Can Jake and Brooklyn overcome the obstacles thrown in their path, and finally find the truth in God's love and in each other?

Amazon


Photo credits
Line of open books photo by Laura Kapfer on Unsplash
Stack of books photo by David Kennedy on Unsplash
Man holding book photo by Ben White on Unsplash