Saturday, December 19, 2020

Like the Closing of a Book by Sandra Ardoin

By now you know that we’re saying goodbye to Seriously Write, so I wanted to add my own farewell—or let’s just call it a “see you later”—to those of the others you’ve read this month. 

Don’t worry, you’ll still have access to past articles, and I hope you’ll come back here on occasion, looking for answers to some of your questions, or maybe some encouragement to keep plugging away in this business.

I’ve been with this blog since 2013 after receiving an invitation from a former hostess, Dora Hiers. It was an invitation I was grateful to accept. These ladies have been fantastic to work with, and I appreciate their dedication to informing and equipping oodles of authors to go out there and write their best for the Lord. I also want to thank the regular contributors, and daily guests for their friendship, knowledge, and just plain awesomeness. 

But a mighty thank you goes to all our readers for allowing us to share helpful and encouraging words for writers for over eleven years. 

The closing of the blog reminds me of the closing of a book. Today, I thought we’d share and/or commiserate with one another over the highs and lows of writing “The End” on a project or reading the final paragraphs of a story or series.

Do you run out and celebrate your accomplishment? Do you mope around the house for a day or two as though you’ve lost a good friend? Do you immediately go into the next project? Are you elated to have it over with? As a reader, do you sigh and tell others about the amazing story you read?

For me, I get caught up in the lives of my characters. I see them move, hear them speak. It’s hard to let go when the final words hit the page. At the same time, although it’s bittersweet, there’s a satisfaction in the ending and an excitement for the next writing project, the next group of characters to meet, the next setting and historical details to explore. 

I’m in the midst of writing a series and am dealing with past characters in the current book, so I haven’t hit that point when I’ll say goodbye to the residents of Riverport. 

However, I know from other books that it’s like always being on the move—packing up and moving on to another town or another state (or maybe country!). I leave friends behind but make new ones. I discover interesting tidbits about a different location, culture, and era. 

As time goes on, I remember my old characters and settings with fondness, but many are no longer foremost in my mind. However, on occasion, there’s that one character who refuses to be forgotten. Do you have characters you've read or written about who stick out in your mind?

Are any of these your experience, or do you go through something totally different? 

Merry Christmas and farewell...for now. 

 

 

The closing of the blog reminds me of the closing of a book. via @SandraArdoin #SeriouslyWrite

 

 

~~~~~~


As an author of heartwarming and award-winning historical romance, Sandra Ardoin
engages 
readers with page-turning stories of love and faith. Rarely out of reach of a book, she's also an armchair sports enthusiast, country music listener, and seldom says no to eating out. 

Visit her at www.sandraardoin.comConnect with her on BookBubFacebookTwitterGoodreads, and Pinterest. Subscribe to the newsletter and keep up with what’s new, discover what’s upcoming, and learn of specials.