Monday, November 23, 2020

What Happened to my Handwriting Skills?

My computer sits on the desk waiting for me. I have my writing area near a window so I can glance outside from time to time and enjoy the view of the neighborhood. People taking leisurely walks, children creating fun designs with sidewalk chalk, and delivery trucks stopping to leave packages on doorsteps.

I try to write(type) every day. Stories, devotions, articles and more. Most of that writing is done on the computer. However, I do enjoy writing snail mail to friends and family. A postcard, a note, a special celebration card or thinking of you card are all included in my daily writing.


Recently, when I went to write heartfelt words in a card and then write the address on the envelope, and prepare for mailing, I noticed something odd.

My handwriting has changed. My first thought was, “Oh, well, maybe it’s because I am older and my fingers have arthritis.”
Then, I paused and considered the thought that maybe because I do more writing(typing) on the computer than with my ink pen, my hands have forgotten the perfect ways of forming each letter. I always had beautiful handwriting skills in elementary school. That was long ago.
Teachers remarked how I took the time to make each letter beautiful.

Not anymore. My fast paced writing has turned into scribbles. No one has complained about receiving a note with ugly handwriting. No one has told me that they couldn’t understand my words in a note or card. I’m glad about that.

My sloppy handwriting has made me consider how much time I spend typing on the computer. This is a reminder for me to pause and create more handwritten notes, letters and cards. 

I will relax and take time to enjoy the art of sending a special message via snail mail. I am going to work on making my handwriting beautiful once again.

This simple thought of slowing my handwriting and taking extra time with each message reminds me that God never rushes through life with us.

He is never in a hurry to get something done. He pauses and enjoys each moment with us.
I pray that we all will slow down and enjoy time with the Lord.

Send a handwritten note, card or letter today. You will bless someone by letting them know you are thinking of them. Take the time to enjoy writing slowly.

This simple thought of slowing my handwriting and taking extra time with each message reminds me that God never rushes through life with us. #seriouslywrite #writing @mimionlife

Have a glorious day,
Melissa Henderson



Melissa Henderson is a writer of inspirational messages. Her first book for children, “Licky the Lizard”, was released in 2018. She also has a story in the compilations “Heaven Sightings” and “Remembering Christmas”. Her passions are helping in community and church. Melissa is an Elder, Deacon and Stephen Minister. She and her husband Alan moved from Virginia to South Carolina to be near son, daughter-in-law and first grandchild. The family motto is “It’s Always A Story With The Hendersons”. Follow Melissa on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest  and at http://www.melissaghenderson.com 


Website and blog : http://www.melissaghenderson.com
Amazon link to "Licky the Lizard"
Facebook : Melissa Henderson, Author
Pinterest : Melissa Henderson
Twitter : @mimionlife