Thursday, May 21, 2020

Running In Place by Terri Weldon

How many news stories, blog posts, and social media rants have you read about COVID lately? If you’re like me the answer is - too many. I’ve had to limit the number of times a day that I allow myself to read about COVID-19. Social media posts for the most part are just tossed aside. No way I’m getting caught up in those arguments! 😊 And blog posts, well I remind myself that to the author it is only one, the one they’ve written. Besides, those are far more interesting than the news or social media posts.

Being at home all the time has left me feeling off balance. It doesn’t matter what time I go to bed or get up. There’s no where I need to be. I feel like I’m running in place. Giving it my all, but getting no where fast.

Unfortunately, my writing is mirroring my life. I edit, and then I’m asked by my most trusted critique buddy, “Did you read this chapter after you edited it?” I continue to work on my plot, but when I try to align my edits with my plot changes nothing works. I’m running, but I’m not moving. I’m stuck in the same place.

Those are the days I begin to wonder if this writing gig is worth the effort. It is. For me. I realize there are others who have walked away from writing. And you know what? If that’s the right choice for them, then more power to them. So today I had a chat with my friend and we worked on my plot. I may not always like what she tells me, but I trust her implicitly. Find someone you trust that much. It may take time, but keep looking. Remember, you need to be that kind of writing buddy in return. If your friend isn’t a writer, support them in whatever endeavor they pursue.

Because my friend has me excited about working on my manuscript. I no longer feel hopeless or like I want to give up. Now instead of running in place I’m jogging down the path toward the finish line.

Have you ever felt like you were running in place? How did you break free? I’d love to hear your tips.


Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize. – I Corinthians 9:24

Amazon Buy Link
A Match Made in Sheffield

Natalie Benton bounced from one foster home to another until she landed on Ellie Alexander’s doorstep. Natalie’s vagabond childhood caused her to yearn for a secure life, which led to Natalie’s five-year plan: complete her law degree, marry the perfect man, become a partner at Montgomery, Haynes, and Preston, and produce one child. Getting arrested wasn’t in Natalie’s plan. Needing a public defender wasn’t in her plan. Falling for Grady Hunter, her public defender, definitely wasn’t in her plan. Can Grady convince Natalie there is more to life than her five-year plan? Is Ellie the only one who sees a future for Natalie and Grady?

Terri Weldon is blessed to be able to write fulltime. She enjoys gardening, reading, working jigsaw puzzles, and shopping for shoes. One of her favorite pastimes is volunteering as the librarian at her church. It allows her to shop for books and spend someone else’s money! Plus, she has the great joy of introducing people to Christian fiction. She lives with her family in Oklahoma. Terri has an adorable Westies – Crosby. She is a member of ACFW and OCFW, a local chapter of ACFW. Terri is the award winning author of The Christmas Bride Wore Boots.

Readers can connect with Terri at her Website or here at Seriously Write.