Monday, February 25, 2019

The Importance of Alone Time by Mary Manners

 

The Importance of Alone Time

by
Mary Manners
 
 
I am a creature of habit, and I probably crave routine more than the average person. I think that's why I love my animals so much--they need and enjoy routine, as well. But sometimes things come up and life gets in the way of my nice, cozy self-prescribed organization. If I'm not careful, the distractions of everyday life suck all the creativity right out of me. And even when the creative juices keep flowing, my writing time is usually the first thing that falls to the wayside.
 
At least that's the way it was until I learned to take some alone time and not feel one bit of remorse for doing so. I like to write in long stretches of time, which I'm able to do now that I'm retired from my day job. For the first year or so after I said goodbye to my nine-to-five (or more like six to six) job as a school principal, I felt a twinge of guilt when I holed up in my home writing office for hours at a time, working on a story. I had accomplished a life-long dream of becoming a full-time writer, but it still felt...odd, especially after a job that had me surrounded by people virtually every moment. 
 
 

 
But a lot of those feelings have fallen away, and I can now say that writing is a job that I love--but it's still a job just like any other job, and it devours time. Because writing is more than simply penning stories (that's the easy part). It's networking and marketing, social media and cover art, workshops and reader events. God must have known that my experience wearing the many hats of an educator would help me conquer the author learning curve a little more easily.
 
I'm thankful I have an understanding husband who has been supportive since Day One. He gets me, and that's the greatest gift anyone can ever give a writer--to understand the need for alone time. So, thanks allowing me to share with you today, and now it's back to work...back to writing.
 
~~~~~
 
 

A CHANCE TO LOVE AGAIN…
Naomi Taylor is putting her life back together following the sudden death of her husband, when eldest son Austin shows up at her doorstep with grandson Max. The troubled teen wants nothing more than to escape the cozy little town of Serenity and get back to his friends in the city. But Naomi’s not giving up on him, and hopes next-door neighbor Ben can help her find a way to reach him and turn things around—before it’s too late.
 
Ben Miller lost his wife to a long and ruthless battle with Alzheimer’s. Coming to terms with the loss has shown him he still has much to live for. When his needs intertwine with Naomi’s, their long-time friendship blossoms into something more.  
 
Can the two discover a way to move into the future and love again, without betraying memories of the past?
 
~~~~~
 

Mary Manners is a country girl at heart who has spent a lifetime sharing her joy of writing. She lives in the foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains of East Tennessee with her husband Tim and their rescue dog Axel, mischievous cats Colby and Rascal, 8 rambunctious chickens, and a dozen fish.

Mary writes stories full of faith and hope. Her books have earned multiple accolades including two Inspirational Reader’s Choice Awards, the Gail Wilson Award of Excellence, the Aspen Gold, the Heart of Excellence, and the National Excellence in Romance Fiction Award.
Mary loves long sunrise runs, Smoky Mountain sunsets, and flavored coffee. She enjoys connecting with reader friends through her website: www.MaryMannersRomance.com.