Friday, November 25, 2016

Blooming Where We Are Planted by C. Kevin Thompson



C. Kevin Thompson

“I want to write full-time.”

“Oh, how I wish I could write all day long.”

“I’d write more if the day job didn’t get in the way.”

Ever utter these kinds of words? I would wager there are few if any writers out there who haven’t at some point in their life. Some writers are fortunate enough to realize those dreams. Others, not-so-much.

But are we less fortunate?

I had a birthday recently. Over half the student body wished me a happy birthday as they passed me in the halls, saw me in the cafeteria, or in a classroom. As an assistant principal, it meant a lot, because I’m usually viewed as the “bad guy” (it’s an occupational hazard).

Then, I received a letter from an 8th grade girl. The letter wished me well on this day of my birth. But it also said so much more.

The young lady thanked me for being there for her, looking out for her, urging her to strive harder to make the very best life she can muster at this precarious age, and believing in her.

As I read the letter, it reminded me of another one I received several years ago from a troubled young lady at the high school where I began my administrative career. It too spoke of how I was the only person who listened to her, showed that I cared for her by holding her accountable, even though she was making a tough choice to drop out of school. I would later see her in another setting where she beamed of great joy at the telling of how she had gone back to school, received her GED, and had been accepted into a college down south. She was chasing dreams, and she reminded me it was my encouragement that set her on this path.

I often get discouraged at this career we call “writing.” It’s an up and down, roller-coaster, whirlwind kind of life that has its own peaks and valleys to say the least. However, in the midst of crafting a tale about some fictional characters, are we blooming where we are planted to make a difference in the lives of real people?

I hope we are.

As we enter into the season of giving, may He who gave us life everlasting help us bloom into abundant trees bearing good fruit (Colossians 1:9-14).





A Clandestine Mission.
A Cryptic Message.
A Chaste Promise.

Blake Meyer dreamed of a peaceful end to a dutiful career with the FBI. Married now, his life was taking him in a new direction—a desk job. He would be an analyst. Ride it out until retirement. Be safe so he could enjoy his grandchildren some day.

But when a notable member of the IRA is murdered in a London flat, Blake’s secretive past propels him into the middle of a vindictive, international scheme so hellish and horrific, it will take everything Blake possesses—all of it—to save the United States from the most diabolical terrorist attack to date.




C. KEVIN THOMPSON is an ordained minister with a B.A. In Bible (Houghton College, Houghton, NY), an M.A. in Christian Studies (Wesley Biblical Seminary, Jackson, MS), and an M.Ed. in Educational Leadership (National-Louis University, Wheeling, IL). He presently works as an assistant principal in a middle school. He also has several years of experience as an administrator at the high school level.

A former Language Arts teacher, Kevin decided to put his money where his mouth was and write, fiction mostly. Now, years later, Kevin is a member of the Christian Authors Network (CAN), American Christian Fictions Writers (ACFW), and Word Weavers International. He is the Chapter President of Word Weavers-Lake County (FL), and his published works include two award-winning novels. The Serpent’s Grasp (Winner of the 2013 Blue Ridge Mountain Christian Writers Conference Selah Award for First Fiction) is scheduled for reprint with Hallway Publishing, Spring 2017. Kevin’s second book, 30 Days Hath Revenge - A Blake Meyer Thriller: Book 1, is also scheduled for a second edition Oct. 2016, with Book 2 coming soon. Kevin also has had articles appear in The Wesleyan Advocate, The Preacher, Vista, The Des Moines Register and The Ocala Star-Banner.

Kevin is a huge fan of the TV series 24, The Blacklist, Blue Bloods, and Criminal Minds, loves anything to do with Star Trek, and is a Sherlock Holmes fanatic, too.

Kevin’s Writer’s Blog: www.ckevinthompson.blogspot.com
Facebook: C. Kevin Thompson – Author Fan Page
Twitter: @CKevinThompson
Goodreads: C. Kevin Thompson