Monday, July 20, 2015

When God Gives Us Pearls by Marianne Evans

Marianne Evans
My husband and I are in the process of selling our home. An adventure, they say. Right-sizing, they say. Well, had someone warned me about the work and emotion involved, I might have applied the brakes and said, “No way, baby!” But God’s in control, so on we go, and all kidding aside, I’m eager to explore this new season in our lives!

One of the treasures I uncovered as I sort and pack is a story I saved from over twenty years ago. Its impact remains, so I wanted to share. The story is titled Foil Boxes & Blue Velvet – Author, Unknown.

My prayer is that it encourages you the same way it encouraged me.

~~~~~

Jenny was a cheerful little girl with bouncy golden curls. Waiting with her mother at the checkout stand, five-year-old Jenny saw them—a circle of glistening white pearls in a pink foil box.

“Oh, please, Mommy. Can I have them?”

The mother checked the back of the box then looked into the pleading eyes of her daughter. “They’re almost two dollars. If you want them, I’ll think of some chores for you, and in no time you’ll save enough money to buy them for yourself. Your birthday is only a week away and you might get a dollar bill from Grandma.”

As soon as Jenny got home, she emptied her bank and counted out seventeen pennies. After dinner, she did more than her share of chores. She went to the neighbor and asked if she could pick dandelions for ten cents. On her birthday, Grandma gave her a crisp new dollar bill and at last she had enough money to buy the necklace.

Jenny loved her pearls. They made her feel grown up. She wore them everywhere—Sunday school, kindergarten, even to bed. The only place she didn’t wear them was when she went swimming or had a bubble bath. Mother said if they got wet, they might turn her neck green.

Jenny had a loving daddy. Every night when she was ready for bed, he would stop whatever he was doing and read her a story. One night, when he finished the story, he asked Jenny, “Do you love me?”

“Oh, yes, Daddy. You know I love you!”

“Then give me your pearls.”

“Oh, Daddy, not my pearls. You can have Princess—the white horse from my collection. She’s my favorite…but please, not my pearls.”

“That’s okay, honey. Daddy loves you. Good night.” He brushed her cheeks with kisses.

A week later, after story time, Jenny’s daddy asked again, “Do you love me?”

“Daddy, you know I love you!”

“Will you give me your pearls?”

“Oh, Daddy, not my pearls. You can have my doll—the brand new one I got for my birthday. She’s beautiful, and you can even have her little yellow blanket. Please, Daddy, not my pearls.”

“That’s okay, honey. Sleep well and God bless you. Daddy loves you.” As always, he brushed her cheeks with gentle kisses.

A few nights later, at story time, Jenny sat on her bed. When Daddy came close, he noticed her chin trembled, and tears rolled down her cheeks.

“What’s the matter, Jenny?”

Jenny didn’t say anything but lifted her hand. There rested her little pearl necklace. “Here, Daddy. It’s for you.”

Tears gathered in his eyes as Jenny’s Daddy reached out with one hand to take the dime-store necklace and with the other hand reached into his pocket and pulled out a blue velvet case with a strand of genuine pearls. He gave the case to Jenny. He had had them all the time. He was simply waiting for her to give up imitation jewelry for genuine treasure.

So much like our heavenly Father.

Be blessed, friends, and may you always rejoice in the genuine treasure of Christ!

~~~~~

Click to Tweet!


~~~~~

Aiden Balfour has always craved stability, independence and security. He’s led a rocky life but always treasured his summers in Northern Michigan with his best summertime friend, Olivia Masters.

Olivia is dedicated to preserving the life she’s known and always treasured at her grandparent’s home high on a bluff overlooking the pristine waters of Avalon. With their blessing, she’s turned the expansive piece of property into a quaint, restful bed and breakfast.

But developers are circling—and they’re led by none other than Aiden Balfour.

Now an ambitious businessman, he’s determined to turn the lake into a tourist mecca. A successful business owner, Olivia is equally determined to stop him...no matter what his hold on her heart.

Can the innocent joy and love of their youth be reclaimed? Can Then…and now…ever be reconciled to a future overflowing with love, and hope?

~~~~~

Then & Now is part of Pure Amore, a Christian New Adult imprint and book of the month subscription service. Find out more at Pelican Book Group!

~~~~~

Marianne Evans is a multi-award-winning author of Christian romance and fiction with over twenty titles to her credit. Her hope is to spread the faith-affirming message of God’s love through the stories He prompts her to create.

Happily married and the mother of two, Marianne is a lifelong resident of Michigan who is active in a number of Romance Writers of America chapters, most notably the Greater Detroit Chapter where she served two terms as President.

Connect with Marianne: