Thursday, December 9, 2010

Gifts to Share

Thursdays – Dawn’s Devotions for Writers

“We have different gifts, according to the grace given to each of us. If your gift is prophesying, then prophesy in accordance with your faith; if it is serving, then serve; if it is teaching, then teach; if it is to encourage, then give encouragement; if it is giving, then give generously; if it is to lead, do it diligently; if it is to show mercy, do it cheerfully.” (Romans 12: 6-8 NIV)


God has given each of us “gifts” to share. I think it’s not only good—it’s important to realize what those gifts are. We may have skills in certain areas, and still not be “gifted.”

For instance … I enjoy editing, critiquing, and sharing knowledge pertaining to writing. I’ve written devotions for years. But I don’t consider myself a teacher. I exhibit some leadership skills when I organize various meetings or social functions. However, because I’m an introvert, I don’t consider myself a leader. I like to help people, but there are large numbers of people who know how to serve better than I.

I’m a listener, encourager, and counselor.

How does this pertain to writing?

There are a multitude of things we can do to help our fellow-wordsmiths besides explaining active versus passive writing.

If you’re a servant, perhaps you could promote authors by writing book reviews, posting author interviews on your blog, or talking to your local librarians. If you’re a member of a local writers group or chapter, you could help set up for meetings or even provide refreshments.

If you’re a teacher, look for opportunities to lead workshops at your library or local conferences. Offer to mentor a young writer.

If you’re a prayer warrior, join the e-mail prayer loops that various writers’ organizations (like ACFW) provide. Offer to pray for writers who are going through a rough time. Pray in general for your favorite authors—for their writing, ministry, and families.

If you’re an encourager, try to be aware of writers needing a little support. They may be friends, critique partners, writers you know through e-mail loops, or even those you “befriend” on Facebook.

One gift isn’t more important than the other.
But all are important.

What gifts do you have to share?

Dawn