Thursday, April 15, 2010

We Are Blessed

Thursdays - Devotions for Writers

“From the fullness of his grace we have all received
one blessing after another.”
(John 1:16 NIV)


Writers are incredibly blessed.

Not because writing is easy. That’s far from the truth.

Not because most writers gain amazing monetary benefits. They don’t.

And not because fame comes with the territory. For most, it won’t.

We’re blessed because God has gifted us, placed desires in our hearts, and has revealed our calling.

So many people are searching for purpose. They go to jobs day after day, not because they want to, but out of necessity. Some have an idea of what they’d like to do, but are unable due to lack of time, money, or necessary skills. Most don’t even have a clue of what they want to do. They just know they’d like a more fulfilling life. They wonder . . . what is their purpose? Why are they here? Surely it can’t be to go to a job that sucks the life out of them day after day.

There have always been two things deeply rooted in my heart. The need to be creative, and the desire to make a difference. When I’m not doing one or the other, I feel anxious and at loss. I feel an inner void. Not because I’m lacking connection to my Lord, but because I’m not being the person God created me to be.

Through the years I’ve tried different things that were creative and had the potential to help people. But time after time I fell on my face. Although my intentions were good, the opportunities weren’t paths God had chosen for me. Then, 10 years ago, He provided a way for me to return to writing – something I hadn’t explored since my college years. The doors didn’t swing wide open. Instead, a succession of doors unlocked, as the timing was right. It’s been a time of learning, growing, and discovering what He wants me to do with my life. A time of discovering my purpose.

At some point a singer will lose strength in the vocal chords, an Olympic athlete will physically not be able to keep up with younger generations, and a professional dancer will have to step off the stage. But we are blessed with the fact that we can write anywhere, and for as long as we can see to put words on a page. And loss of sight may not even stop most of us.

Writing is hard work. It usually doesn’t pay well. Rejection is part of the process. But we have been given a gift that has potential to change lives – and be life-giving to us at the same time. Could you imagine giving up writing? Putting away your laptop – or paper and pen - and never creating again? Never sharing your thoughts through word? Never participating in dialogue with other writers and experiencing the stimulation it brings?

We are blessed!

Have a great week. :-D

Dawn