Thursday, February 18, 2010

Who Likes Being Held Accountable?

Thursdays - Devotions for Writers

Then Jesus said to them, “Give to Caesar what is
Caesar's and to God what is God's.”
(Mark 12: 17 NIV)

Who likes being held accountable?

Even though I know it’s usually good for me, I admit there are times when it would be nice to go along my merry way without having to be accountable to anyone. Confession . . . I’m a closet rebel. Most people probably don’t have a clue that I have a problem with authority. You can ask me to do almost anything – but tell me I HAVE to do something and the shot of adrenaline that surges through my body causes my heart rate to soar. I’d hate to have my blood pressure checked at that moment!

On the other hand, if I request to be held accountable, that’s another story. I asked one of my daughters – the exercise guru – to help me get back on track with staying fit. On Monday mornings she e-mails the routine she wants me to follow for the week, based on my schedule. Every morning I climb 50 stairs from the parking garage to the floor where my office is located. During lunch, I usually do three sets of stairs. So on most days, I climb a total of 200 stairs. Climb. NOT RUN. Just to be clear! Some days she adds time on the treadmill or a few minutes of weights after I get home. She e-mails every day to encourage me and check in to see if I’ve done what I’m supposed to do. She holds me accountable. She does it because she loves and wants the best for me.

Do you think I would do those stairs every morning and afternoon if I wasn’t held accountable? No way! I’d come up with all kinds of excuses here and there, and before you knew it—I wouldn’t be doing them at all.

We need to be held accountable in many things. And that includes our writing.

Why?

Because we should “Give to Caesar what is Caesar's and to God what is God's.” Any gift, talent, or passion for writing that we have comes from Him. It is His. We are only vessels He’s chosen to use.

Although we’re accountable to God, He doesn’t stand over us with a stick. He doesn’t request a report at the end of the week. So it helps to enlist our critique groups or friends in asking, “How’s the writing coming?”

I encourage you to find at least one person in your life who is willing to hold you accountable. Having that person (or group) will help keep you focused on what, where, when, and why you write.

We’re to give God what is God’s. Being held accountable will help us give our best. And isn’t that what we all want? To give our best?

Now don't you all start e-mailing, asking if I've climbed the stairs. ;-D

Dawn