We writers embrace words, brainstorming sessions, hours to write, and constructive criticism, but there is one aspect of the writer’s life that shakes us to our core.
Marketing and Promotion
The nightmare of our career.
We think we have the notion.
But can’t move past the fear.
Okay, I’m not a poet. But I know you understand writers must market and promote their books. Our goal is to successfully place our novels into the hearts and hands of readers.
I’m a firm believer in organization, and when I write a novel, spreadsheets keep me rooted in reality.
A writer gets ahead of the marketing and promotion stress by developing a Timeline Task. This is an indicator of what needs to be accomplished approximately a year before a book is released.
12 months out:
- Contact online and print publications to arrange for ad and banner placement. Make sure they are in place for the month of the book release.
- Recruit your Street Team. Reach out to prominent authors in your genre for possible endorsements. This allows the endorser to schedule reading the novel.
- Write blogs that connect to the novel. Stockpile them—you will be glad later.
- Order bookmarks and postcards.
- Arrange guest blogs and calendar when they will appear.
- Remember, these have already been written.
- Arrange production of your book trailer.
- Arrange production of author interview video.
- Announce to Street Team and brainstorm promo ideas.
- Contact TV and radio stations for interviews.
- Create contest ideas with giveaways.
- Goodreads: update bio, headshot, ask-the-author section, add new release to books, link to blog posts, update page, be active! https://www.goodreads.com/author/guidelines.
- Design secret Pinterest Boards.
- Use postcards to notify libraries of new book.
- Mail ARCS
- Keep Dream Team posted.
- Confirm all blog spots, ads, banners etc.
- Seek events to speak and sign.
- Check that all online platforms and retail stores have updated bio and photo.
- Arrange launch party or signing for the big day.
- Mail author copies or e-copies of book to Street Team.
- Mail author copies or e-copies of book to reviewers.
- Encourage pre-orders.
- Post book trailer and author interviews.
- E-mail blast.
- Blogs appear.
- Constant presence on social media platforms.
- Thank those who have helped make the release a success.
- Small tokens of thanks sent.
- Contests announced.
- Keep the momentum going by sharing deleted scenes, research, character insight, and behind the scenes action.
- Party time!
How do you approach marketing and promotion for your book?
|About the Author|
Her titles have appeared on the CBA and ECPA bestseller lists; won two Christy Awards; and been finalists for the RITA, Daphne Du Maurier, Inspirational Readers’ Choice, and Carol award contests. Library Journal presented her with a Best Books 2014: Genre Fiction award in the Christian Fiction category for Firewall.
DiAnn is a founding board member of the American Christian Fiction Writers, a member of Advanced Writers and Speakers Association, Sisters in Crime, and International Thriller Writers. She is co-director of The Blue Ridge Mountain Christian Writers Conference and The Author Roadmap with social media specialist Edie Melson where she continues her passion of helping other writers be successful. She speaks to various groups and teaches writing workshops around the country.
DiAnn has been termed a coffee snob and roasts her own coffee beans. She’s an avid reader, loves to cook, and believes her grandchildren are the smartest kids in the universe. She and her husband live in sunny Houston, Texas.
DiAnn is very active online and would love to connect with readers on any of the social media platforms listed at www.diannmills.com.
DEADLY ENCOUNTER Discussion Questions
Watch the trailer
Airport Ranger volunteer Stacy Broussard expected a peaceful Saturday morning ride around the perimeter of Houston’s airport. What she encounters instead is a brutal homicide and a baffling mystery. Next to the body is an injured dog, the dead man’s motorcycle, and a drone armed with a laser capable of taking down a 747.
Though FBI Special Agent Alex LeBlanc sees a clear-cut case of terrorism, his past has taught him to be suspicious of everyone, even witnesses. Even bleeding-heart veterinarians like Stacy. But when her gruesome discovery is only the first in a string of incidences that throw her life into a tailspin, Alex begins to wonder if Stacy was targeted. As a health emergency endangers Stacy’s community, and the task force pulls in leads from all directions, Alex and Stacy must work together to prevent another deadly encounter.
Deadly Encounter is recommended for fans of the following:
- Christian Fiction
- Christian Mystery
- Romantic Suspense Books