Tuesday, April 29, 2014

The Big and Little Things~Tanya Hanson

This is Tanya Hanson here. I’ve been invited to Seriously Write as a monthly contributor by the wonderful Angie Arndt whose support and cyber-friendship help me every single day!

                                       "The Big and Little Things"
                                            by Tanya Hanson

When Hubs and I took a city-slicker wagon train trip, the excursion, both grand and rustic, inspired the setting for a story set on a Colorado ranch. That inspirational novella got me contracts for an eight-book series. 

Gulp. How could I possibly get seven more plots developed, new characters born? I started looking into the details surrounding me every day. My black Labrador. My godson’s disability. My vegetarian niece...

Then into our unexciting life came...Cancer.

I never started out with cancer as a theme until my husband survived it. And my daughter’s close friend and sorority sister Jackie did not.

Those two, with their courage and faith and hope in the midst of blackness, inspired the characters in Sanctuary, the third book in my series. A romance between two cancer patients. A cowboy hero, already in remission.

A city-girl heroine, facing an incurable brain tumor and struggling to accept Who’s in charge.

In many ways, it’s the best book I’ll ever write. And also the hardest. I learned more about the nightmarish glioblastoma multiform (the deadly GBM) than I ever cared to know. This horrific disease strikes only three out of 100,000 people. After fighting hard for four years, Jackie died a year and a half ago. Despite faith, hope and love, her death tore my heart apart. My son’s best friend, Teller--(all the kids went to the same university and lived next door to each other on Fraternity Row)--sent me a loving condolence card.

Fast forward to Good Friday evening. Tenebrae. The exact date, day, and time Teller and his beautiful wife Nichola exchanged vows six years ago.

This time, they were renewing those vows.

It was an evening of both joy and tears, hope and fears. For in the most agonizing of ironies, Teller is now fighting GBM, diagnosed last June. The struggle is not over, nor the challenges. Toss into all of this, the poignancy of their one-year old son. But the love last Friday night, the faith and the hope warmed the air already spiraling with hugs and prayers.

And much fun as well. Music, dancing, and my son’s frat brothers all together again despite the miles between. Like old times, Jake, in from Texas, had me laughing much of the time. That’s the kind of event it was--joy in the moment, hope for the future.

And I found my inspiration. Oh, no, not another cancer story. I’d been agonizing over a name for the heroine in the Christmas story I’ve been asked to write. Hearing the name of Jake’s fiancée, I knew it was perfect. I asked, and he said yes, with much more laughter and hugs.

I seem to be able to find inspiration in both big and little things. How about you?



A beautiful plus-one at a wedding, a hunky cowboy..autumn leaves and rugged horse trails. The perfect setting to unite two healing souls... Ranch foreman and single dad Hooper Martin is ready to put his health and life back on track after battling cancer...including re-entering the dating scene. His little girl sure could use a mother. Falling hard for wedding guest Malia Cameron makes perfect sense to him: she's a survivor, too. Mallie has put her heart on hold, knowing she will never recover from her struggle with a brain tumor. She can't promise a future to anybody and vows never to fall in love. Letting Hooper Martin into her life would be a big mistake. But his good looks take her breath away, and his living faith starts to gentle her confusion about Who's really in charge.

Tanya Hanson, a multi-published author of western romance, is a member of Los Angeles Romance Authors, RWA chapter. Sanctuary received the CTRR Award at Coffee Time romance as a Recommended Read. You can find her at
www.tanyahanson.com


35 comments:

  1. Tanya

    I just wanted to welcome you to the Seriously Write family! I'm thrilled to have you join us a regular contributor. You've already been such an enthusiastic supporter of our blog, you were a natural choice to team up with us!

    And thank you so much for sharing your heart with us this morning. I love how God gave you hope in this midst of all that sorrow. Praying for Teller, his family and your son as they go through this together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks you, Angie. Sometimes I wake up in the morning and can't believe it. I am so grateful for your prayers and hugs..,even during the little things that fret me! Have a wonderful day, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Every book you write is your best, Tanya, and I adore them all! Echoing Angie's warm welcome and appreciation. Love you, gal!

    Same with me. I find inspiration in big and little, in dreams and reality, and in life and death. Praying for your friend Teller and his precious family. Can't wait for cancer to be eradicated!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hear ya, Dora. So weird, the latest People magazine has an article about a doctor at Duke University who injected polio virus into a young woman's glioma and it's gone! Maybe there are miracles. Thanks for your kind and loving words yet again. xox

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was a Greek in college. Fraternities aren't all about partying. Congrats on your first post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those life and death real stories are such powerful inspiration for your work, Tanya. I look forward to reading these stories.
      All good things to your corner of the earth...

      Delete
    2. Hi Sarah, thanks for your hopeful words! We're having a heat wave here at the beach where it's usually 65, grrr but I'm off to the horse rescue in a bit so that'll be a good day! I look forward to reading you, too...but reading is such a luxury these days. Thanks for stopping by. xo

      Delete
  6. Hi Kate, you are so right, We thought the greek system was great for both our kids. The friendships are sure long-lasting. Thanks for the post and kind words today, Kate.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The beauty of a writer's life is that we never know what's going to inspire us. It's the most surprising part of daily living. Prayers for those in your life who are going through horrible trials and tests of their faith.Hug them and if it comes down to letting them go you can find the strength.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Linda, my precious filly sister. I know you always have my back! And your books so inspire me! xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tanya, I don't know where you find the internal fortitude to use the saddest experiences to fuel stories that may give others hope in the midst of trials. The job you do with that mission is awe-inspiring. I'll have to pick up a copy of SANCTUARY. It sounds both sad and joyful.

    Big HUGS to you, my friend! Your faith is a never-ending inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Tanya - Congrats on your first installation at here! You have so many stories in your head, but this one was super special. Wishing you good things!! Charlene Sands

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Kathleen, yeah, I thought our black Lab crossing the rainbow bridge (this inspired book two, Redeeming Daisy) would have done me in. But deep down, I knew Jackie had a story to tell, too. I think I'll be leaving cancer themes alone now, though. Thanks so much for the comment today. It means a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Charlene, my dear friend and mentor who started it all. Thanks kindly for stopping by. I do agree my head swims but I think I'm getting kinda tired now. Oh well, keeps me from getting senile I guess LOL. Love ya, and thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey, Tanya! What a beautiful, beautiful post! Cancer is such a cruel disease...and to lose one so young to its grip is simply devastating. I admire your tenacity and insight. Finding inspiration in the big and the small things in life, using them to create storylines that bless and inspire others - that's a gift, and you definitely are blessed with it in abundance!
    I find inspiration in the odd and the ordinary, the big and the small. God is so creative, wonderful, and imaginative! It's hard not to find something inspiring in His everyday world. :) Blessings to you, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Delia, thanks so much, truly touches my heart. I've been a tad nervous, this is such an amazing bunch of authors. Gulp. I do thank God for the little things (although cancer isn't; that's the biggie) as most times, that's my life LOL. You, my friend, are someone who gets me going. Your stories work so well in my life. I love visiting "Hearts Haven." Thanks so much for coming here today. xo

      Delete
  14. Welcome to Seriously Write, Tanya. Your post has touched and inspired me ...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congratulations on your inaugural blog at Seriously Write! Your post inspired me! You have a gentle, graceful way of accepting the transitory nature of life, yet still finding the joy to celebrate.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sam, oh, thanks so much for taking the time to comment. It means so much! And of course, thanks for the kind words. I so wish I could be in San Antonio when you GET that RITA. Congrats again on the nom. It couldn't happen to a nicer person (well, you and Robin both LOL) Love you guys...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Woo and HOO on your first blog here! What a wonderful blog, and so true - it's the little things that bloom large in our imaginations, and help us bring great stories to fruition. I look forward to reading Sanctuary! Hugs, honey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Christine, so happy to see you here. It's fun to think of those little seeds or imagination or inspiration blooming into an entire story. Hugs backatcha, and hope to see you soon!

      Delete
  18. Tanya, what a great post! You never fail to inspire and touch my heart. God bless you and your wonderful writing ministry - hugs, sweet friend!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marianne, my dear friend, your kind words mean so much. As they always do. In fact, you're one of those whom I couldn't make it without. Love you. And SO fun that we'll be cohorts here at SW! Looking so forward to it. Hugs and blessings...

      Delete
  19. Wow, Tanya - what a moving blog. My mother passed four years ago from a brain tumor, but she'd lived a long and full life.
    Your series sounds wonderful.
    hugs and more hugs to you and yours

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lynne, so sorry for that terrible loss. Such a scourge, but so good to know she lived long and happy. I so appreciate your loving comment today! xoxox

      Delete
  20. Congrats on your first post Tanya. Poignant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Pamela, for your congrats. I had a great day here my first day as a regular. I've done two guest posts, so I knew the time would be fulfilling and blessed!

      Delete
  21. What touching stories you drew on Tanya - and the emotions show up in your stories. And you're right, sometimes it's the small things, and sometimes it is life-changing events tht inspire us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Winnie, thanks so much for being my first inspiration long ago when I signed my first contract...the first book I bought and read was your Something More. Since then, we've met at some RWA's where I attended your amazing pitch sessions. Thanks so much for helping me along the way! xo

      Delete
  22. Hi Tanya, a beautiful post for your first here at Seriously Write. So excellent you've got me running scared about mine!

    I admire your ability to write such a beautiful story out of such tragic circumstances.

    If I'm not mistaken your husband is six years cancer free. Rejoicing with you for his good health.

    I'm looking forward to reading more from you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Terri, I know that feeling of, gulp, believe me. But look how nicely my day turned out with the love and care of so many fine people! Yes, Hubs is six-years cancer free. It's such a joy, but also much survivor's guilt with so many loved ones suffering. But the Lord is in charge, I know. Best wishes to you and YOUR first day! xoxox

      Delete
  23. I meant to leave this yesterday, but my mind wandered!

    A hearty Welcome to Seriously Write!, Tanya!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sandra, my mind wanders off so much I think it's permanently lost LOL. SO good to hear from you any time.

      Delete
  24. Thanks to all of you lovely friends and writers who welcomed me so warmly me today! Tuesdays are my day at the horse rescue, where I volunteer, so I hope y'all don't think I bailed on commenting...it's Wednesday now but I'm still gonna comment. Love to all, and God bless.

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear your thoughts! Please leave comments. We'll moderate and post them!