Monday, February 17, 2020

What is God's Best for Me? by Patty Nicholas-Boyte

Philippians 4:8 (NASB) 8 Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things.


It was the best of times, it was the worst of times. I know, I’m being dramatic, but this is true in my life.

It was the best of times. I am a newlywed, I have a great job in a wonderful Christian organization, and I have family and friends who love and encourage me.

It was the worst of times. Even though I have had several of my devotions published in compilation books, and articles and blog posts have received recognition and publishing cred, what I really want still has not happened. Friends and writing peers are all receiving contracts for their books . . . But not me.


!Friends and writing peers are all receiving contracts for their books . . . But not me.

Have you been in the same situation? Do you feel lost, or like you are on an island, all alone in your writing journey? I know I've been there many times.

I’ve studied the passage in Philippians last year, and I recently came across my notes. What I found true just a few months ago, is still true today. God’s call to write was crystal clear to me back when I first heard it, and the call has never changed.

If I dwell on what God has for me, I know it will be His very best for my life. As hard as it is to not compare myself with my peers, the reminder to dwell on what is true, honorable, right, pure, lovely, good repute, excellence, praise worthy is where I need to focus.

What is God’s best for us? Is it a book contract, is it a new request to speak, or is it a time of quiet with the savior as He prepares us for the next thing? Only He knows, but if we remain in Him, and dwell on His good things and His goodness, we will be blessed when the desires of our heart come to fruition.


Multi award winning writer, Patty Nicholas-Boyte lives with her Husband Brian in the mountains of North Carolina. She is a busy event planner for the Billy Graham Training Center at the Cove, and is a member of the Blue Ridge Writers Group. She is a mother of two grown daughters and grandmother of three. She writes Bible studies and devotionals as well as contemporary romance. 
She is a regular contributor to the Cove Blog.
Devotions are published in compilations by Lighthouse Bible Studies.
facebook.com/patty.l.nicholas
twitter.com/PattyNicholas2