Monday, September 23, 2019

Writing During a Hurricane

Hurricane Dorian visited the Low Country of South Carolina recently. Our area was spared most of the devastating winds and rain the Bahamas and other areas experienced. Weather forecasters alerted us to the possibility of what was to come. Mount Pleasant SC and surrounding areas did not escape the hurricane, but we had less damage than other places.

Heavy downpours of rain and strong winds began covering our city as the hurricane entered as a Category 2 and turned quickly to Category 3. We were thankful when the storm left and cleanup could begin. When the sky was clear, wind and rain had ceased, we felt safe to venture outside to see the aftermath of the storm.

The electricity in our home flickered on and off. Flashlights were ready with new batteries. Provisions were already waiting in the pantry. Water, crackers, peanut butter, cookies and various hurricane essential items.

This storm brought opportunity to pause and write a few blog posts. House cleaning could wait. Laundry could wait. The television and radio were turned off. A good time for writing. If the power turned off and I couldn't use the computer, there was always paper and pen for jotting my thoughts.

I began typing words via the computer. Listening to the wind howling, I wondered if sitting near the window and the computer was a good idea. Paper and pen was the better choice. Turning off the computer, I located one of my favorite pens and a journal.

Ideas rushed into my mind. Stories about hurricanes, preparations for storms, safety of people and animals and ideas of what to do if the power turns off all jumped into my thoughts.

Telling myself, "I can do this. I can write during a hurricane." Boosting my confidence while positioning my chair and supplies away from windows, I was ready to write.

One lesson I learned about writing during a hurricane is that writers can find ideas for stories in any situation, even hurricanes. The longer I sat with pen and paper, the more excited I became over the story lines running through my mind.

From my personal blog posts to guest blog posts to children's stories to young adult stories to fiction and non-fiction, I was filled with story plots and twists.

I don't want another hurricane to visit the area but I am ready with pen and paper. Who knows what ideas will sprout?

Have you written any stories during a hurricane? Share what story lines entered your mind during a storm.

One lesson I learned about writing during a hurricane is that writers can find ideas for stories in any situation, even hurricanes. The longer I sat with pen and paper, the more excited I became over the story lines running through my mind. #seriouslywrite @mimionlife

Stay safe and have a blessed writing day,
Melissa Henderson


Melissa Henderson is a writer of inspirational messages through fiction, non-fiction, devotions, guest blogs, articles and more. Her first children’s book, “Licky the Lizard” was released in 2018. Some of her passions are helping in community and church. Melissa and her husband Alan moved from Virginia to South Carolina in 2017 to be near son, daughter-in-love and first grandchild. The family motto is "It’s Always A Story With The Henderson".

Website and blog : http://www.melissaghenderson.com
Amazon link to "Licky the Lizard"
Facebook : Melissa Henderson, Author
Pinterest : Melissa Henderson
Twitter : @mimionlife