Monday, July 1, 2019

The Closing of the Circle by Sara Davison

Sara Davison

How do we know when our writing has gone full circle? My guest today, fellow Mountain Brook Ink author Sara Davison, is here to share her wisdom and an aha moment that resonated with me. Enjoy! ~ Annette

 ~~


As I have always been deeply uninterested in being in the spotlight, I have often wondered why I have such a deep, driving need for the words I’ve written to actually be read by someone. At least, I have wondered about this driving need until recently, when I came across a quote in a book. The words hit me so profoundly that I literally had to set the book down and contemplate them for several minutes, letting the truth of them sink in.

The quote was by Max McLean, founder of the Fellowship for the Performing Arts, who said, “…I am amazed at the communicators who have never quite understood that a story is not a story until it has been received.”

Wham! The revelation struck me like an apple falling from a tree and bouncing off my head:

The stories I write are incomplete until someone reads them. It is in the reading that the connection is made, the process is completed, the circle is closed.

It’s the whole tree falling in the forest thing: If a writer pens a story and no one is around to hear (or read) it, does it make an impact? Of course not. And making an impact, connecting with a reader on some level, “stirring the blood” as McLean describes it, is the entire point of the story-telling process.

Which is why I long to have my words read: to establish that connection with another human being, to in some way touch them with the truth of God’s goodness, faithfulness, and love.

Whether the feedback is positive (which I love and appreciate), or negative (which I see the value of, especially if it is kindly done or at least kindly meant), receiving it affirms that my words have been read, the blood has (hopefully) been stirred, even if just a little, and an impact, however tiny, has been made.

The story has just become a story.

When does a story become a story? @SaraJDavison

The Closing of the Circle by @SaraJDavison


~~~~~

Vigilant by Sara Davison

Vigilant
She must choose between the man who represents the law and the one who may have taken it into his own hands.


Neglected by her parents for most of her life, Nicole Hunter keeps everyone, especially men, at arms’ length. So when Attorney Gage Kelly walks into the diner where she is waiting tables one evening, she fights her attraction to him with everything she has.

Gage and his brother Holden grew up in an abusive home, and Gage has baggage of his own. But the connection between him and Nicole is too strong to ignore, and Gage manages to convince them both that their relationship is worth the risk.

Then children begin disappearing in the night.

When Detective Daniel Grey starts to close in on the child snatcher, and enlists Nicole’s help, she faces her deepest fear. Everything and everyone she has clung to so tightly could be ripped from her, leaving her completely alone.

Except for one.


~~~~~



Sara Davison is the author of the romantic suspense novel, The Watcher, and the romantic suspense series, The Seven Trilogy. She has been a finalist for eight national writing awards, including Best New Canadian Christian author, a Carol Award, and two Daphne du Maurier Awards for Excellence in Mystery/Suspense. She is a Word and Cascade Award winner. She currently resides in Ontario, Canada with her husband Michael and their three children, all of whom she (literally) looks up to. Get to know Sara better through her blog: www.saradavison.org; on Twitter: @sarajdavison; or on Facebook: @authorsaradavison.