Friday, January 29, 2016

Be Willing to Take the Leap! by Rachel Dylan


Rachel Dylan

We’ve jumped into a new year! Although this change can bring fresh hope and expectation, those feelings may also be accompanied by uncertainties. Author Rachel Dylan shares her personal journey to publication, and her story encourages us to set aside our fears and doubts. 
~ Dawn


Be Willing to Take the Leap

There are times in life when there is a fork in the road. A choice you make that can change the trajectory of the winding journey of life. Back in the fall of 2012, I had one of those moments. I was working in a large law firm as a litigation attorney and was in the midst of preparing for a large trial. I was working crazy hours seven days a week. I had way too many things going on in my life. But then I saw that Love Inspired Suspense was having a writing contest. I was immediately interested in entering, but then so many doubts crept into my mind—I don’t have the time, I don’t have the know-how, I don’t want to be rejected…

Even given those fears, I kept reading about the contest and wondering if I could actually do it. The contest was appealing to me because as a first step, you only had to submit the first chapter and synopsis. So while it was still a big decision, it didn’t feel quite so daunting. But even still, I went back and forth on my decision. Finally deciding that it was way too much to try to do the contest in the middle of everything else.

But something in my heart just kept tugging me back to the idea. So before the deadline, I took the leap and wrote the first chapter and synopsis. Much to my surprise, I got a request for a proposal. I received some helpful feedback from the editor and got to work writing the proposal and I submitted it.

Then I was so happy to receive a request for the full manuscript! I couldn’t believe it. I was so thrilled. But shortly after I got the request for the full manuscript, my father passed away. Once again, the doubts crept into my mind. Could I really do this right now? Should I wait? I wondered if I could write a book in the midst of losing my dad. But as it turns out, writing was a huge part of my mourning and healing process. I wrote the rest of the book, and I channeled a lot of my grief through the writing process.

When I got the call from my agent that I had an offer, I cried tears of joy. I dedicated that book to my father who was a preacher. He had shaped my entire spiritual foundation. My only regret was that he wasn’t able to see the finished product. But I knew deep in my heart, that he would’ve been so happy and proud for me making the decision to write Christian fiction.

I often wonder how things would’ve been different if I wouldn’t have pushed through and entered that contest or finished writing the book. If I would’ve let the fear, doubts, and timing stand in my way. I now have two books out from Love Inspired Suspense with two more on the way in April and July. And in the meantime, I’ve also taken the indie plunge too. So wherever you’re at on your writing journey today, my advice is to take the leap. Break through the fears and doubts and take the next step. I know I am so thankful that I did.





(Danger in the Deep South)

Attorney Hope Finch is a rising star at the prestigious New York law firm of Rice & Taylor and is used to high-stakes litigation. But when she’s sent to what she thought was a small, sleepy town in Georgia, she is unprepared for the dangerous turn of events that threatens her life and career.

FBI Special Agent Gabe Marino knows that something sinister is happening in his hometown of Maxwell, Georgia. But even he doesn’t know how big the threat is until he’s assigned to protect a visiting big city lawyer. As Gabe investigates the illegal activity linked to Hope’s client, he tries to caution her, but she ignores his warnings—until it’s her life that’s in jeopardy.

When Hope becomes the target in a deadly corporate cover-up that is directly tied to the biggest trial the town of Maxwell has ever seen, she and Gabe have to find a way to work together. Hope and Gabe race against the clock to uncover the true threat, but can Gabe keep Hope safe in the face of danger or will time run out on them both?




Rachel Dylan writes Christian fiction including inspirational romantic suspense for Love Inspired Suspense and the Windy Ridge Legal Thriller series. Rachel has practiced law for almost a decade and enjoys weaving together legal and suspenseful stories. She lives in Michigan with her husband and five furkids—two dogs and three cats. Rachel loves to connect with readers. You can find Rachel at www.racheldylan.com.

Twitter: @dylan_rachel