Thursday, May 14, 2015

The Art of Over Committing by Terri Weldon

Terri Weldon
Throughout the years I’ve tried my hand at a number of things, some I mastered, and many I didn’t. But there is one thing I’ve learned to excel at – over committing. Hmm, I don’t think I’m hearing anyone cheering. Don’t feel bad, it doesn’t make me happy either. In fact, it’s been known to cause me a great deal of stress, something none of us needs added to our lives.

So why do I do it? Well, all the things I committed to were worthwhile, even fun. And doesn’t Proverbs 6:9 say, “How long wilt thou sleep, O sluggard? When wilt thou arise out of thy sleep?” Yep, it does. The problem with me quoting that verse is I was guilty of finding a Bible verse to justify my actions. Not smart.

To live a healthy, well balanced life we have to make choices. My day job is a necessity, so I have to allocate a huge chunk of my time to the job. That means I can’t commit to so many evening activities that I can’t function at work or I end up sick from lack of rest.

Writing is dear to my heart. If I’m going to commit to being an author then I have to choose other activities to give up. That’s a real problem for me. I want it all. Do I sound like a two-year-old? Trust me, I’ve acted like one from time to time.

Recently, I’ve come to the realization that I have to prioritize. Pick out the things that are nearest to my heart, the things God wants me to do, and start letting the rest go. Yeah, it is hard. If you were to ask the people closest to me how I’m doing at not over committing, well, they’d probably laugh.

I feel like I’m doing better. At least now I realize it is a problem. With that realization also came an awareness that by committing to so many “good” things, I never spend time on the things I love the most. That was an eye opener. So let me leave you with a different verse, Proverbs 16:9, “A man’s heart deviseth his way: but the Lord directeth his steps.” Spend your time wisely, my friends.

If you have tips for keeping balance in your life I hope you’ll leave a comment and share your wisdom with me. Trust me, I can use all the help I can get!

****

Mistletoe Magic ~ buy link
Misty Winslow is determined to find her prince, and she meets the man of her dreams through an Internet dating service. Or is he, because the new dentist in town also sets her heart aflutter.

It's love at first sight for Tyler Davenport, but before he can finish his first root canal, Misty is involved in an exclusive online romance with Wes99—Tyler’s online persona. How can he tell her he’s the man she’s been waiting to meet, and how rational is it for him to be jealous of Wes99! Soon Tyler's pulling out all the stops to woo Misty.

As Christmas approaches, Wes99 and Tyler both ask her to meet them under the mistletoe. Which man will she choose?

Terri is a lead analyst by day and an author by night. She enjoys gardening, reading, and playing in the hand bell choir. One of her favorite pastimes is volunteering as the librarian at her church. It allows her to shop for books and spend someone else’s money! Plus, she has the great joy of introducing people to Christian fiction.

She lives with her family in Oklahoma. Terri has three dogs – a lovable mutt and two adorable Westies.

Terri is a member of ACFW and OCFW, a local chapter of ACFW. Her dream of becoming a published novelist came true in November 2013 when Mistletoe Magic, released from White Rose Publishing. To learn more about Terri visit her website at www.TerriWeldon.com.