Wednesday, January 2, 2013

To God Alone Be the Glory

 
 
Happy Wednesday, my writing friends, 
 
Not to us, O Lord, not to us, but to Your name give glory. Psalm 115:1
 
I know I've been talking about it a lot, but will you indulge me one more post about my new book release, Love Finds You in Glacier Bay, Alaska? My co-author, Tricia Goyer, along with our AMAZING launch team have been gearing up for it for about a month now. Our baby finally released yesterday. Woo hoo! 
 
I was so nervous. After Tricia and I finished edits, I honestly didn't know if this manifestation of hours and hours of work was any good. I worried whether anyone would like it. I'd read, thought about, and studied page after page (sentence after sentence!) so much, I couldn't tell anymore. To be honest, I was seeing all the flaws and not as many strengths. I finally gave up and left it in the Lord's hands. 
 
Well, Lord, whether this book shines or stinks is all up to you. I have no idea. 
 
With the launch came a flood of reviews, and even before that, folks on the launch team commented that they loved the book, couldn't put it down, "balled like a baby" (authors love to hear that). So I decided to take a peak. Were they all crazy, or was it really good?
 
I read it again. And guess what? I cried and laughed and couldn't put it down, along with all the others. I liked it. What a relief! 
 
And because of my doubts, it's so obvious that all the glory goes to God! I truly didn't know if it was good. Plus, even as I wrote it, I doubted whether I knew what I was doing. In an act of almost blind faith, I simply poured my heart out, hoping and praying God would use it. 
 
Isn't that the way with the writing life? I struggle, strive to master the craft, throw my heart and soul into the story, and then...have no clue whether it's good. But, sort of like the old "Footprints in the Sand," just when I think my efforts are bunk, I spot those second set of footprints. He was with me all along. Of course He was. 
 
Funny, the characters in the book had to learn the same thing ... 

All the lovely reviews bless, encourage, and make me feel loved, not just because they compliment my book, but they seem like a gift from my heavenly Father.

It's for His glory in the first place. 

How has writing revealed God's love to you? I'd love to hear. 

God bless and happy writing! 

Ocieanna