Thursday, September 8, 2011

This and That Thursday: What To Do When You Feel Like You Can't Write Another Word

Hi! It’s my turn (Ocieanna) to take on This and That Thursday. One of my great passions is prayer. I love talking to God about ... everything. This writing journey calls for a lot of conversations with the Lord, so I thought I’d share a few of my recent ponderings about prayer. At the end, I'll share one.

First, I “enter His gates with thanksgiving in my heart.” Even if the writing journey has me depressed or anxious (not that writers ever feel that way!), I try to come before my Father with a praise in my heart. He’s put me on this journey, and it’s ungrateful to complain about it. I thank Him for the privilege of writing, for His loving hand of providence over my choices and career moves, that He will never leave me, and that He guides my every step in this journey.

Second, I acknowledge my inability to write without Him. With all the other commitments and activities in my life, writing sometimes seems like an insurmountable task. I treasure painting my thoughts with words, but at times I forget my passion and just feel like I can’t do it. That’s a good place to be! It forces me to trust the Lord with greater zeal. Even when I’m not feeling that way, but think I’ve got the writing thing down pat, the truth is I can’t do it without His strength. Embracing this truth in prayer helps me remember this, and humbly rely on the Lord for each word.

Finally, I spew it all out. God knows my fears and anxieties. He knows my insecurities and impatience and jealousy. No confession I could make will shock Him. “He desires truth in the inmost being,” so I release it all to Him. He loves me and wants to carry my burdens. Where there’s sin, He lovingly convicts. Where there’s hurting, He heals. And all the time He carries me.

I couldn’t write without Him. Prayer gives me strength for each day.


Dear Lord,
I thank You for this path You’ve chosen for me. It’s a privilege to write, and I’m grateful for the desire and skills You’ve given me. Thank You for the strength to sit at this computer and write. Please help me not to grow lazy, but work diligently to grown in excellence in order to glorify You. Let my words bring honor to Your name and not dishonor. I pray that my words will encourage and bless others. Let them bring refreshment and joy and a desire to seek you.

Father, I can’t do this on my own. I have no ability to finish this project or even write the next word without your strength. I need you more than the food I eat or the water I drink. I give this page to You, Lord, even though it’s already Yours. Help me to write with clarity and conviction. Give me wisdom with the path my story will take. By Your loving hand of providence, guide me where my characters should go.

Finally, I confess that I’m afraid, dear Father. I’m overwhelmed and can’t see my way. I have more to do than time to do it, and I worry that my projects won’t be published or received well. This is my own insecurity, Lord, for You are a great and mighty God who promised to take care of me. Help me to trust You and not myself. Make each word excellent, true, and beautiful—for your glory alone.

Thank You, Father, for hearing my prayers.

Amen