Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Any Time, Anywhere


I once used a book for my morning worship called, When I'm Seeking God's Will (Windows of Worship). It's a spiral-bound
devotional journal by Greg Allen, Rick Rusaw, and Dan Stuecher. One morning's devotion was Be of Value. In it, Rusaw writes that when he was beginning his first job in a local church, he was very ambitious with lots of dreams and ideas for the future. When he shared those with an elderly minister on staff, Dr. Lester Ford, he was given some sage advice.

Ford told Rusaw that his dreams were good and he should continue to dream. But he also reminded him that he needed to learn to be of value where he was, "[b]ecause if you don't learn to do that, you won't have much of a future. And you can't be of value somewhere you're not."

I know when God gives me a vision of the future (not a literal vision, but a dream of how we can be used by God), it's so difficult to stay where I am. I feel like I'm stuck in limbo, itching to reach out and grab that next goal. But ...

(There's always a "but," isn't there!) But God has placed me where I am for a reason. I haven't published my book because it's not ready. My friend hasn't found a job or a home because the time is not right. My children aren't happy and perfect and well because ... this isn't heaven.

I told someone yesterday that God is not only anywhere, but He's also anywhen. Readers of Anne McCaffrey's Dragonriders of Pern series may recognize that term. The concept in those novels meant that the hero or heroine could ride their dragon back in time to any point in their life. Kinda like the Quantum Leap premise. (Yes, I went through a sci-fi phase. Actually, I'm not completely out of it.)

But I like to think of God as being every time at once. The Bible tells us of God's amazing power and wisdom. He's not only God of our past, but also the God of our future. He knows what's going to happen to us. He's read the end of the book! There are no mysteries for him.

As writers, we oftentimes find ourselves in that limbo phase – with a book half-written, or an unpublished book, being un-agented, etc. But we have to find God’s will for us in every phase of our lives, don’t we?

So that's where I place my trust. God loves and cares for each of His children. His plans for us may not include prosperity or wealth, but our only concern should be to remain in the center of His perfect will. It's only then that we accomplish our purpose.

Don't get me wrong: in the mind of those in a personal relationship with Christ, hopes and dreams are a gift from God. But we should also remember that He is in control of our present. We are where we are because of His will.
~Angie

Father, help us always to remember to be grateful for what you've given us. Help us to be aware of Your purpose for us, no matter our circumstances. Help us always to look for your job "assignments" in every situation. And remind us that You are in control of our future and that you will bring it to pass in Your time. Thank you for loving us. Amen.