Tuesday, July 27, 2010

God's Promises to Writers Series: To Sustain Us


He Will Sustain Us
God's Promises to Writers Series
Net's Notations Tuesdays

A few weeks ago I talked about how God keeps us. My focus was His keeping us in the face of risks, as well as keeping us on the path He has for us.

What about sustaining us?

Cast your burden on the LORD, And He shall sustain you;
He shall never permit the righteous to be moved. (Psalm 55:22)

Do you ever grow weary with waiting? Weariness can bring discouragement and even defeat. Over the years, I’ve read of writers giving up writing and pursuing publication because they’re weary from rejection and would rather not try anymore.

But if you know God has called you, and if you remember His promise to sustain you, you can find rest while you wait. His promise to sustain us gives us hope, confidence, strength in the midst of rejections or the push toward a deadline.

Sometimes all I really need is a good nap.

Ever felt that way? I’ve been pushing myself with the fantastic new program offered through ACFW—Novel Track: Writing. So, it’s up early and focused on meeting my goals. Throw a little family vacation into that and all the work involved, add one small pup, plus hosting a party for our worship team and you’ve got a busy couple of weeks.

So, where in the midst of our large family and our summer plans and my writing career is there any time to rest?

Hmm . . . beats me. *grin* I have to make time. I have to take time.

And I have to remember God will sustain me. I have to rely on Him for that.

So, if He calls me to rest, I need to heed that call. As my Good Shepherd, He knows what I need.

We can cast our cares on Him because He cares for us (see 1 Peter 5:7). He can bear our burdens so we can get some rest.

Sometimes we push ourselves harder than we need to. Sometimes we aren’t disciplined as much as we should be. There’s a balance somewhere in between where God sets the pace and we follow it. And when we do, we will be sustained. It’s His promise to His writers.