Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Virtues of March: Peace


Virtues of March: Peace
Author's Character Series
Net's Notation Tuesdays

Our family just got a new dog. He’s two years old, a mini-dachshund mix who is timid about strange noises and other dogs. I’ve got a new command for him since his arrival with our family: Peace. I want him to know he’s safe in my arms. I calm my own heart rate, (dogs pick up on people anxiety) and I stroke his back and say, “Peace.” And when he settles, I say, “Good peace.”

Okay, so it’s a little unconventional, but it’s something I want him to learn—he can have peace. He can relax and know he’s safe.

How about you? When God whispers peace into your life, do you receive it? You’re waiting to hear back from an editor. You’ve done the hard work and pushed past the procrastination (fear of failure, doubts, fear of success) and handed in your manuscript (or query or proposal). Now you wait. Do you wait peacefully?

Peace I leave with you, My peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid. (John 14:27)

Hear Jesus speak peace to us. He commands peace toward our circumstances (like when He calmed the storm and sent fear scrambling for the sake of His disciples). But He speaks it over us. When Jesus speaks peace, He imparts it to us in a powerful exchange, anxiety for rest. He is the Prince of Peace. But, as with salvation, we have a choice whether or not to receive it.

In this verse Jesus shows we have a choice even as to whether we “let” our hearts be troubled.

That challenges me. How about you?

Funny how timely this is. I’ve just sent in a requested full. Now I wait. Lord, help me choose peace. Grace me to hear the Prince of Peace whispering peace into my life. And speak peace to the storm of doubts which may come. I receive Your gift of peace.

Being at rest in His care (like our family’s new pet) is a sign that we have chosen peace. And that’s one thing He looks for in His authors. It’s a sign of a character like His.