Monday, December 16, 2019

The Magi, a Reminder to Put God First by Patty Nicholas-Boyte

Matthew 2:1-2 1 Now after Jesus was born in Bethlehem of Judea in the days of Herod the king, [a]magi from the east arrived in Jerusalem, saying, 2 “Where is He who has been born King of the Jews? For we saw His star in the east and have come to worship Him.” (NASB)

I am blessed to work for a Christian organization in my day job. This week we had our annual Christmas staff luncheon where our speaker brought us a message from Matthew 2:1-2. I found it interesting the contrast between Herod, who proclaimed himself king of the Jews, and Jesus who truly is King of the Jews.

Herod was known as a builder, in fact, if a person were to visit Israel, you would find the ruins of the amazing things that he built. However, what is left of his legacy is ruins. Jesus, Almighty God, our one true king has built a kingdom that has no end and will never be in ruins. While Herod worked his whole life to make a name for himself, to build a “platform” that would have no end, that when the true king came along, he not only missed the opportunity to worship, worse still, he allowed jealousy to take over and attempted to extinguish God Himself.

As a writer who is working hard at building a platform, I felt the Holy Spirit speak directly to my heart, when He said “worship me, follow me and I will take care of you.”

I love how God has sandwiched a very busy year of my life with the same message, and reminder to make Him a priority.

Back in January, I prayerfully chose a word and scripture verse for this year. The word I chose was “first” and the corresponding scripture was Matthew 6:33 (NASB) 33 But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be added to you. This year, I have seen the birth of a third grandchild, I have won a couple of writing awards, I have become a regular contributor to this blog, and last but not least, I got married.

I love how God has sandwiched a very busy year of my life with the same message, and reminder to make Him a priority. Worship Him, put Him first and He will take care of all of the details. In the new year to come,

I hope and pray you all have many blessings in your writing, in your family and in your relationship with Jesus.

Multi award winning writer, Patty Nicholas lives in the mountains of North Carolina. She is a busy event planner for the Billy Graham Training Center at the Cove, and is a member of the Blue Ridge Writers Group. She is a mother of two grown daughters and grandmother of three. She writes Bible studies and devotionals as well as contemporary romance. Devotions are published in compilations by Lighthouse Bible Studies.