Thursday, August 15, 2019

Writing For Fame And Fortune by Richard L. Mabry, MD

I didn’t set out to be an author. From childhood, my career goals were first an airline pilot, then a professional baseball player, and finally a physician. As I matured, I realized the first one was a fantasy, the second one highly unlikely (although I did play a bit of semi-pro baseball), while the third was what God had in mind for me. I didn’t realize God also planned for me to write, but events after the death of my first wife made that path clear to me.

In none of these did I have an ultimate goal of fame and fortune—well, maybe the baseball thing, but nothing since then. But when I got my first writing contract, the dreams began. At my first writer’s conference, I was awestruck by the published writers there. These were people whose names were household words—maybe not in my household, but I was just getting started, so I could be excused for not knowing all of them. But I was certain that at least they were celebrities in their hometowns. Surely, they had to stop and give autographs in the grocery store or dry cleaners. And, undoubtedly, they lived in the lap of luxury. After all, they were published authors!

Bitter Pill is my sixth published novella, along with twelve full-length novels and a non-fiction book. Nineteen books, and no one asks for my autograph. I’ve decided that fame and fortune may find some authors, but not me. True, a row of books with my name on the cover are spread across the shelf over my writing desk, but with each book release there are no cheering crowds outside my window, no marching bands in the street. A few folks at church might ask, “When’s your next book coming out?” but otherwise it’s pretty quiet around here. And as for fortune? Afraid not.

Although I haven’t become rich and famous, my words have been read by many more people than the population of the town where I grew up. If I’ve succeeded in my mission, when those readers turn the last page of my books, they find they’ve been left with a message, one I hope sticks with them. I’ve been allowed to use the printed page as my pulpit. And that’s rich and famous enough for me.

Amazon Link
THINGS WERE GOING ALONG JUST FINE
UNTIL THE MIRACLE FOULED THEM UP.

“Brother” Bob Bannister is content with his life and his itinerant healing ministry, until one night he finds that the woman who walks off the stage under her own power isn’t one of his shills. At that point, doubts begin to intrude on his previously untroubled existence.

Dr. Abby Davis is tired of her family practice and at odds with God. Dealing with critically ill and dying patients has crushed her spirit to the point she’s ready to quit. But she soon realizes that there’s more to healing than ministering to the physical body.

Scott Anderson was the oldest graduate of his seminary class. Then again, most of them hadn’t turned away from a medical practice, hoping to atone for past mistakes (including his wife’s death) by ministering to men’s souls. Now he hopes he hasn’t made a colossal mistake in switching careers.

Each of these individuals becomes linked to the other, and each finds that God has a purpose for them—but, as it often does, the lesson comes with discomfort.

Dr. Richard Mabry is a retired physician, now writing “medical mystery with heart.” His work has garnered numerous awards, as well as praise from his contemporaries and reviewers (but no fame or fortune). He and his wife live in north Texas, where he works at being the world’s greatest grandfather, improving his golf game (without apparent results), and convincing his loved ones that staring off into space is sometimes necessary for writers.

Richard’s website is http://rmabry.com. He blogs regularly at http://rmabry.blogspot.com. He can also be found on Facebook, Twitter, and Goodreads.