Friday, December 21, 2018

When a Crisis Interrupts Your Writing by Elaine Marie Cooper

Elaine Marie Cooper
Wouldn’t it be nice if life went along without any complications? Too often we’re faced with challenges that affect everything in our world—including our writing. What happens then? Author Elaine Marie Cooper shares part of her personal journey. ~ Dawn


When a Crisis Interrupts Your Writing

It seems hard enough for writers to keep up with word crafting, marketing, and the numerous obligations that come with the writing world. But when a personal crisis interrupts your best-laid plans, it can throw an author for a loop.

My own crisis occurred in 2016. I had prepared to promote the release of three books that year, purchased airline tickets to help my niece with her newborn, and had already paid my registration for Write-To-Publish Conference in Wheaton, Illinois. But other plans happened when severe pain sent me to my doctor. “We have to treat this infection,” he said, then proceeded to tell me all that would be involved.

All I could do was shake my head and say “No.” How could I go through all that when I had other plans? Suddenly the words I’d often read in Proverbs 6:9 were becoming my reality: “A man’s heart plans his way, But the Lord directs his steps,” (NKJV). It was a heartbreaking and difficult truth I faced.

Fighting back tears, I canceled my reservations and worked with my editors about setting up edit schedules that didn’t collide with my treatments. I was so grateful I had a job I could do from my bed. But recovery was long and difficult, not to mention painful, and I clung to God, my husband, and friends to help me through.

When the worst was over, I faced doubts: Would I ever be capable of writing again? I felt battered and beaten, both emotionally and physically. What if I’d lost my ability to craft words? Recovery seemed slow, but God hung in there with me and all my inadequacies. I had to trust Him that I could do this with His help. Slowly, the creativity returned.

Since then I’ve contracted a 4-book series and written a novella and two novels. The novella and one novel (War’s Respite and Love’s Kindling) will release in January of 2019. I am so grateful to the Lord for not just seeing me through my health emergency, but for giving me the strength to re-emerge as an author. Hopefully, as a caterpillar goes through its physical crisis in the chrysalis, my words will metamorphose as a butterfly and take flight to the hearts of my readers. I was more than ready to come out of the cocoon of darkness.

Perhaps you’re a writer who’s been through your own unexpected trauma: The death of a loved one, a cancer diagnosis, a family crisis? Please share a bit about your story and I will pray for you. Or just reply, “Pray” and I will do so for you.






During the American Revolution in 1779, Aurinda Whitney lives with her cold and calloused father, an embittered veteran of the previous war. Aurinda’s life changed forever when her father returned for her after that war, taking her away from the only place she’d ever experienced affection. Since her father blamed his daughter for the death of his wife in childbirth, Aurinda is convinced she is unworthy of love.

Zadok Wooding believes he is a failure as he tends the smithy at home while others go to battle against the British. Just when he has an opportunity to become a hero, he is blinded in an accident. Now he fears he will never live up to the Biblical “mighty man of valor” for whom he was named.

When the couple meet, they are both challenged to overcome adversity as well as their inadequacies. Unexpected secrets of their past emerge that can change their lives forever. But can they look past their present circumstances to heal—and find love?




Elaine Marie Cooper is the award-winning author of Fields of the Fatherless and Bethany’s Calendar. Her latest release (Saratoga Letters) was a finalist in Historical Romance in both the Selah Awards and Next Generation Indie Book Awards. She penned the three-book Deer Run Saga and has been published in numerous magazines and anthologies. She freely admits to being a history geek. Look for her upcoming releases, War’s Respite and Love’s Kindling. This 4-book series, which is set in Revolutionary War Connecticut, is entitled Dawn of America

You can visit her site at www.elainemariecooper.com  and connect on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/ElaineMarieCooperAuthor