Friday, May 19, 2017

Chasing Two Rabbits by Christa Kinde



Have you ever wondered what it might be like to write under TWO names? What would it take? Just thinking about it makes my head spin! Christa Kinde has found ways to juggle the demands. Enjoy as she shares a part of her writing world with us. ~ Dawn


Chasing Two Rabbits

My childhood was steeped in stories, but I never thought of becoming an author. Yet when I stumbled into a circle of writers who urged me to try, I gave it a go. And found something unexpectedly precious.

I love writing. The challenge suits me.

Early efforts lead to traditional publishing contracts. But when one of my other story ideas didn’t catch a publisher’s fancy, I researched the indie option. That’s why my publishing journey forks.

Two names. As a hybrid author, I publish Christian titles under my own name. Bibles, Bible studies, and devotionals are lined up on a shelf with my fiction debut, the middle grade Threshold Series [Zonderkidz]. However, I also independently publish family-friendly fantasy under my maiden name—C. J. Milbrandt.

Two hats. Is it hard balancing two publishing plans? Not if I stay flexible. I can adjust CJ’s deadlines and release dates to accommodate incoming traditional contracts. Do I like being my own publisher? Yes! All the big choices are mine to make—story development, cover concepts, titling, trim size, and interior design.

I enjoy planning. The challenge suits me.

Two websites. As authors, we’re expected to maintain an online presence through websites, blogs, and social media. That means double duty for me. My two personas each have a slightly different focus. For example, Christa tweets about #amwriting, but CJ talks about #amreading. How do I juggle both? Scheduling my posts ahead of time, so there’s a steady stream.

Two audiences. We all know that writing is hard work. Why complicate things by maintaining dual accounts? I prefer to think of “leading a double life” as an adventure. One I can share with two audiences. Christa’s books appeal to Christians, but CJ’s suit any readers who enjoy stories with magic in the mix.

I crave variety. The challenge really does suit me.

Two goals. According to an old Russian proverb, “If you chase two rabbits, you will not catch either one.”If you’re thinking about establishing an alter ego, be wise. Splitting your efforts might only slow you down. Spreading yourself too thin might frazzle your nerves. But if you can be flexible, adaptable, tenacious, and cheerful about the attendant challenges … why not give it a go? You might find something unexpectedly precious.






Ewan, Zane, and Ganix—three half-brothers take sibling rivalry to new lengths as they race each other across their homeland. The Byways Books by C. J. Milbrandt, 2016 Moonbeam Children’s Book Award, “Best Book Series – Chapter Books,” bronze medal. Magic isn’t the only legacy Mr. Ian Johns wants for his bickering sons. Liberty’s Postmaster hoped the boys would bond during a family trip, but they twist his vacation plans into a race. Ewan, Zane, and Ganix soon find themselves far from home, facing choices that are far from easy.

Book #11, Beneath the Torch: A Ewan Johns Adventure. Ewan’s and Zane’s teams have reached their shared waypoint, but it’s easy to get lost in a city as big as Beacon. A case of mistaken identity leaves Ewan tongue-tied. An urgent letter sends Jovan rushing through the maze of squares. And Zane is having all kinds of trouble with two little tagalongs. [Releasing May 23, 2017]




Faith in a Father whose ways are mysterious. Hope in a Friend who’s coming again. Love that bears fruit in far-off places. Christa Kinde believes in bright colors, good manners, crazy socks, word games, cat naps, and postage stamps. But most of all, she believes in God. She writes about her faith with studies, stories, and devotionals that bring truth into focus and give faith a practical spin. Christa also writes family-friendly fantasy as C. J. Milbrandt. Her award-winning Byways Books take sibling rivalry to new lengths as three brothers race each other across their homeland. And in her Galleries of Stone trilogy, statues on the legendary Moonlit Mountain have a life of their own.

Connect with Christa:
GoodReads: Christa Kinde
Twitter: @ChristaKinde
Facebook: @Christa Kinde
Pinterest: /ChristaKinde

Connect with CJ:
GoodReads: C.J. Milbrandt
Pinterest: /mrsmilbrandt
YouTube: CJMK Books