Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Grammar-O

Grammar-O Wednesdays
with Ocieanna

Welcome to grammar day on Seriously Write. If you’re a regular visitor here on Wednesdays, you know that Ocieanna, our good friend and fellow blog hostess, went into cardiac arrest on January 8. She’s doing well, but needs further rest. In the meantime, Annette and I (Dawn) will carry on in Ocieanna’s place until she can return. Please continue to keep her in your prayers. Thanks!


Ready to test your skills?

The following sentences may contain grammar, punctuation, spelling, or other writing misdemeanors. Your job is to find the infraction and set it right. Try not to look at the answers below.

Have fun!

Sentences to correct:

1) Some people have the abilitie to get up early in the morning: and greet the day with a smile and a song. I’m just not won of them.

2) I admire those who can rise with the sun and function at full capacity. My husband gets up at 3:30 AM to get ready for work. Mornings are the best time of the day for him.

3) I like the thought of rising early, but actually doing it is brutal. I’m not ready to participate in any dialoque until after 8:00 am. Then it’s minimal and I better have had some strong coffee.

4) Many people believe that its important to have quiet time with God first thing in the morning before they begin the rest of they’re day.

5) Isn’t God great? He doesn’t require that I become a morning person to spend time with Him. I can enjoy His presence all day and evening long.

6) Prayer doesn’t have to take place in a church; or other designated location. God is willing to meet me wherever I am, He’s available any time of day or night.



Corrected sentences:

1) Some people have the ability to get up early in the morning and greet the day with a smile and a song. I’m just not one of them.
Note: There should be no colon after “morning.”

2) I admire those who can rise with the sun and function at full capacity. My husband gets up at 3:30 a.m. to get ready for work. Morning is his favorite time of day.
Note: The last sentence in this group is an example of tighter writing. Try to make every word count.

3) I like the thought of rising early, but actually doing it is brutal. I’m not ready to participate in any dialogue until after 8:00 a.m. Then it’s minimal, and I better have had some strong coffee.
Note: There should be a comma after “minimal.”

4) Many people believe that it’s important to have quiet time with God first thing in the morning before they begin the rest of their day.

5) Isn’t God great? He doesn’t require that I become a morning person to spend time with him. I can enjoy his presence all day and evening long.

Note: Did you know that The Chicago Manual of Style and the Christian Writer’s Manual of Style both state that deity pronouns should not be capitalized? And most publishers agree. There is a long list of reasons why. But, if an author feels strongly about capitalizing He, Him, etc. when referring to God, the publisher will sometimes accept it. If you choose to capitalize the pronouns, it’s important to be consistent throughout the manuscript.

6) Prayer doesn’t have to take place in a church or other designated location. God is willing to meet me wherever I am; he’s available day or night.
Note: No semicolon after church, but there should be one after “am” in the second sentence.


How well did you do?


*Disclaimer: Like Ocieanna, I’m by no means perfect at this. I use The Chicago Manual of Style and Webster’s Dictionary as my sources.