Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Creativity Like No Other by Tanya Eavenson

What does creativity mean to you? Today, author Tanya Eavenson shares an experience that provoked a whole new thought about how she sees the meaning of creativity. - Sandy

Tanya: When you think of being creative, what do you think of? As a writer, I think of creating words and characters that draw my readers to turn the next page. I think of story lines that show Christ’s character and His redemptive love. But overall, I’d say creativity is the ability to take an idea and make something meaningful out of that idea.

The words creativity and meaningful took on such a stronger context two years ago when I learned my six-year-old was legally blind in both eyes.

I remember the first day she came home from school with her glasses. She jumped out of the van and headed straight for a weed in the yard. She knelt and stared at that pink patch on the ground for who knows how long before she turned to me and asked, “Can I put this in my room?”

I bit back tears because the weed to me was nothing of value, but to my daughter, it was the most beautiful flower she’d ever seen. The sparkle in her eyes for that weed fueled my creativity, but it also begged the question, how can I help my daughter see the things she’s missed?

We began a special scrapbook, dragged out old pictures, and poured through them both so she could make new memories. We’ve pinched leaves off bushes, played in the dirt, caught lizards, toads—yes, I caught a toad! Never thought I’d try to go toad hunting before, but it was so worth it by how fascinated she was with the bumps on its back. I’d do anything for her.

Isn’t God like that with us in a way, creating the heavens, the sun and clouds by day and the moon and stars by night. Creating the babes we hold dear in our arms and how our hearts yearn for them … an overwhelming love and fierce desire to protect them from harm. A glimpse of who God is and His love for us.

Our Father finds different ways to speak to our hearts, to draw us near Him, because when we look up at the stars or the feather-like clouds above, I can picture God looking upon us. I can picture God saying, “These things are nothing of value in my eyes compared to you, they are a reminder to you of who I AM. And you, my daughter, are worth more than anything this world has to offer. I made you. I gave you life through My son, Jesus. I’d do anything for you.”

Ephesians 1: 13-14 says, “Having believed, you were marked in Him with a seal, the promised Holy Spirit, who is a deposit guaranteeing our inheritance until the redemption of those who are God’s possession—to the praise of His glory.”

Perhaps the Lord is saying to you, “How can I help My daughter see the things she’s missed?” Or, perhaps He’s asking you to help others see the beauty of His creation, so that they too can understand the depth of His love?

God gave His son for us and raised Jesus from the grave so that we may have life in Him for all eternity. Indeed, this is the greatest creativity and my mind cannot fathom it.

It’s called REDEEMED. 

~~~~~


Tanya Eavenson enjoys spending time with her husband, and their three children. Her favorite pastime is grabbing a cup of coffee, eating chocolate, and reading a good book. Tanya is a member of American Christian Fiction Writers, Word Weavers International, and writes for Christ to the World Ministries. You can find her at her website http://www.tanyaeavenson.com/ on Facebook, Twitter, Goodreads, Google, or on Amazon.


He will fight for her at any cost...

Elizabeth Roberts can't remember her past, and the present is too painful. She turns to nightclubs and drinking to forget her infant daughter's death, her husband's affair. 

When his wife's coma wiped out the memory of their marriage, Chris Roberts found comfort elsewhere. He can't erase his betrayal, but with God's help he’s determined to fight for Elizabeth at any cost.

She wants to forget. He wants to save his marriage. Can they trust God with their future and find a love that’s unconditional?