Wednesday, September 30, 2015

In God's Waiting Room by Jodie Wolfe

One of the hardest parts about writing is waiting: waiting for news about a contest entry, waiting for news from an agent or editor, waiting for that first release, waiting for ... Well, you get the picture. Jodie Wolfe is here today to give us some tips about what to do during all that time of "waiting." -- Sandy

Jodie: Hurry up and wait. My husband and I once joked that this was the slogan of the Army. We were stationed in Germany at the time and had a young baby, which meant a lot of check-ups those first months. We had 'scheduled' appointment times, but it didn't mean we saw the doctor then. Often other pressing needs or patients trumped when our son actually got seen. We learned to be patient because we didn't have much choice.

What's a writer to do during a waiting season...especially if it's a really long one? I've been on 'wait' mode since I recommitted my writing to the Lord in 2009. I'd love to tell you I have a contract waiting in the wings or am published or multi-published by now but so far it hasn't happened.



I firmly believe waiting has a purpose. In this time when the answer is 'not yet' God refines us and our talent. He knows the right season for us to become published authors. Until then, we need to immerse ourselves in Him and seek His direction.

You may be wondering what I've been doing in the past six years. Here are some things I've found helpful along the way.

1. Keep writing. I've written at least four novels and am starting on a fifth one. I also tried out for other various writing project opportunities as they presented themselves.

2. Enter contests. While these can sometimes be a double-edged sword, they also are helpful with improving our skills. It's how I ended up landing an agent. :)

3. Attend conferences. Learn as much about the craft of writing as possible and find ways to share it with others so you can encourage someone else.

4. Work on building social media platforms. I had been in a rut in this area until I attended a conference this summer which gave some hands-on ideas. I decided to put them into practice. In less than two months time I tripled my friends on Facebook - all because I tried something new.

5. Look for new areas to grow. After a conference workshop I decided to try my hand at writing a devotion and sent it off to be considered. What a joy and surprise to have it accepted and posted online a few weeks ago.

6. Keep seeking the Lord. I believe God has big things in store for me and for you. Seek His face daily and ask for His direction for your writing. Come to the point where He is more important than seeing your name in print.

Keep your eyes on the goal of following the call God has placed on your life. Look for each step He leads you on, to reach the place He wants you to be. He's rooting for you and so am I. God bless!


So what are you waiting for? Where are you in that writing stage, and have you found that the waiting ever ends, even if you're published?


~~~~~



Jodie got bitten by the writing bug as a young girl after reading and watching Little House on the Prairie. She loves writing stories about feisty heroines and strong, godly heroes. The power of story to influence lives and change hearts is what motivates her to weave tales that tell of the Savior’s faithfulness and forgiveness. Jodie is a columnist for Home School Enrichment magazine and had a devotion featured on Christian Devotions. She achieved semi-finalist status in the 2013 ACFW Genesis Contest and 3rd place in the 2015 Novel Beginnings at St. David's Christian Writer's Conference. She's represented by Linda S. Glaz of the Hartline Literary Agency.

Website - http://www.jodiewolfe.com
Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/jodie.wolfe.1
                     - https://www.facebook.com/Jodie-Wolfe-553400191384913/timeline
Twitter - https://twitter.com/JodieAWolfe