Thursday, February 26, 2015

Pinterest…Love it or leave it? By Dora Hiers

I’m about to let you in on a little secret.

I’m addicted to Pinterest. Shhh! Don’t tell anybody! 




But how’s a person supposed to resist those delectable cookies and savory soups filling the screen? Or how about those comfy looking spaces that just cry out to a reader to curl up with a great book? And, oh, those delightful rustic cabins with the rocking chairs on the back decks overlooking mountains and sunsets and towering trees …imagine the inspiration for a writer!

Have you investigated Pinterest? What do you think? Do you agree with me?

If you have never visited Pinterest (really? How is that possible?), essentially Pinterest is a virtual bulletin board or scrapbook… a place to collect ideas. Maybe you enjoy collecting creative recipes for your culinary pleasure, scoping out the perfect vacation destination, or hunting down DIY instructions. Whatever your interests, you’ll find inspiration along with plenty of pictures there.

Just to give you a basic rundown, a “pin” is essentially a picture that bookmarks and references the original source. You can upload your own pictures, pin from websites or blogs, or “repin” other pins. A “board” is where you organize your pins.

Take a moment and pop over to my “bulletin board” and see what the rave is all about. While you're there, if you already have an account, you might want to click the red "follow" board on some of the boards that excite you, but make sure you come back and let me know what you think, OK? Click to visit Pinterest here > http://www.pinterest.com/dorahiers/

With the holidays now behind us, I bet you can see how Pinterest might have been a gold mine for ideas. Decorating, gifts, recipes…sheesh, I never buy cookbooks anymore. For the most part, I pin and print all my recipes, and then organize them in a binder. Did you see any recipes you couldn’t wait to try? Salivate over any desserts? 


What about for writers? Can you see why Pinterest might be a place to hang out? Join us next month when we'll dig deeper into Pinterest. If you're not sold just yet, you might be after our next discussion.

Some people unwind by watching TV. Others by scrolling Instagram pictures or Facebook statuses. Next to reading, browsing Pinterest is my favorite hobby.

What about you? Love it or leave it? What’s your favorite hobby?
I'll be in and out of Internet service this week, but will check back and respond to all comments next week. Wishing you a glorious weekend!

****

Purchase Link
Five years ago, Emily Mannerson escaped small town living and moved to the big city where nobody knew "poor little Emily" and her miserable background. Now an attorney, Emily longs for what she left behind…her adopted mother and high-school sweetheart. Fire captain Matthew Westerly treasures his small town of Journey Creek and values faith, family, and friendships. When he rescues Emily from a horrific car accident, he's determined to win her back and make up for the lost years. Can a big city girl and a small town boy discover their true treasure? Will they trust God to work a miracle?



Dora Hiers is a multi-published author of Heart Racing, God-Gracing romances. She’s a member of RWA, ACFW, and the Treasurer for ACFW-Charlotte Chapter. Connect with her here on Seriously Write, her personal blogTwitterFacebook or Pinterest.

24 comments:

  1. Dora, I don't have a Pinterest acct. I've been led to believe that thrillers would probably not fair well for the time spent as the majority of Pinterest users are women. Am I wrong? Can a thriller like 30 Days Hath Revenge find traction amongst the cookie recipes and art projects?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not speaking for Dora, Kevin, but I like thrillers. However, I'm sure you can find all kinds images that represent things you like. Besides book boards, I have them for football (Gridiron), bullriding (PBR), NASCAR, Civil War (North and South), gardening, fashion, funny animal images, and reading/writing memes. Like any social media outlet, I think it's best to be more well-rounded in how you use it.

      Delete
    2. Kevin, I tend to view and use Pinterest first as a hobby, then as a marketing tool, but we'll be talking more in depth about marketing over the next couple of months.

      Although I don't reach for a thriller, if a blurb intrigues me with just enough romance sprinkled in, I'll read and usually enjoy them. Piggybacking on Sandy's comment, if you use Pinterest primarily as a marketing tool, you might be disappointed. :)

      Delete
  2. I love Pinterest for research. If I'm looking for photos of something to put on a book board or just to get an image in my mind, I'll go to Pinterest and do a search.

    Unlike you, Dora, I don't like all that food showing up in my feed. But I love the gardens, architecture, and historical fashions. Oh, yeah, the log cabins!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pinterest is my go-to spot for character faces now, too, Sandy. Those secret boards work well for building a board during research, don't they?

      Delete
    2. Gotta have my food pics but the cabins are sweet, too!! :)

      Delete
  3. LOVE Pinterest (and I'm a little addicted, too)!

    But as a writing reference, it's wonderful! Just type in any historical time period and pages of gorgeous dresses appear. And I love creating inspiration boards for my own manuscripts. The best part is that you can keep the boards secret until your books are published.

    I'm gushing, aren't I?

    Have a great time, Dora-friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah, I was so glad when Pinterest upped the secret boards from just three. Seriously, three? lol.
      Thanks, Angie! We had a fabulous, relaxing trip. Now it's back to work.

      Delete
  4. Dora! Wonderful post. So, I clicked on your pinterest link, then clicked on a board. It brought up a whole page of stuff. How do I then sort through it to see what I'm looking for? It makes no sense to me lol. Please help the pinterest unaddicted!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sally, I usually just glance at a person's boards/titles to see what interests me.

      Delete
  5. How did you pin your blog posts to a board? I figured out how to follow! Yay, I might figure this out yet lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Sally! The blogger may have Pinterest buttons, and then all you do is hover over the post and click the button. If you hover over the red Pinterest picture in this post, you should see a Pin button.

      If not, you can copy the url. On your board where you'd like to pin, click "add a pin" and it gives you the option of adding a pin from the web. Then, you just paste the url. Feel free to practice with Seriously Write. :)

      Delete
  6. I "use" Pinterest, but I rarely am there. I don't hang out. I post something, use mainly my For Writers Board and my Books Board. It can be a time-sucker if you're not careful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, Ane, as with all social media venues. :)

      Delete
  7. I am a Pinterest junkie, and there is an upside: I rarely buy decorating books anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here, Cheryl! Hubby has found some great DIY ideas from Pinterest. Like a workbench for the garage and the smoker bar for the deck... :)

      Delete
  8. hi Dora, as you say, Pinterest is addicting...so much so that I've had to ignore it LOL. Plus I'm always worried about pinning somebody's holy copy-written thing, too. I was gonna take it easy on writing this year, catch up on reading (which I am doing when I hit the exerbike) but some new projects came up, which means just thinking about getting back to Pinterest is way on the back burner. But I do love all those great themes and ideas out there! Love you, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For me, it's more of an unwind from writing, a way to relax my brain. Yay! I'm so glad to hear you're back in the writing saddle, my dear friend. xxoo

      Delete
  9. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOVE Pinterest for recipes. But I also use it for research and a place to keep photos and links associated with the books I'm writing. I have boards pertaining to my blogs and other writing-related topics. Other boards cover things like health, movies, favorite books, etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Recipes galore! Who needs to buy cookbooks anymore? Same here, Dawn.

      Delete
  11. I LOVE Pinterest as well... and I confess, I read your entire post BEFORE I went over to Pinterest and followed you. Because I sucked into the swirling vortex of pinning and find myself there hours later still finding treasures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true, and it's so easy, isn't it? lol. I don't usually go on Pinterest during my scheduled writing time unless I'm building characters. I reserve Pinterest for the evenings while hubby's watching something on TV that doesn't interest me.

      Delete

We'd love to hear your thoughts! Please leave comments. We'll moderate and post them!