Thursday, November 26, 2015

Where He Leads...

Autumn is my favorite time of year! I enjoy all those plump pumpkins spilling over the steps of front porches, cheering for the Carolina Panthers, the sound of dried leaves crackling under my shoes, and hanging out with my family. And when the first scent of burning firewood drifts in on a brisk breeze, I know it’s time to pull out the sweaters and kiss summer farewell.

Other than the occasional allergy flare, season changes are easy for me. I’m always ready for the next one, eager to switch my shorts for long pants and vice versa. Other changes are not so simple or painless. Like sacrifices that need to be made for the sake of time. Or saying goodbye, leaving a sweet place of fellowship and friendship, because of a change in direction.

A new year is almost upon us. A fresh slate. A chance for new beginnings. But, just like the Israelites poised on the verge of entering the Promised Land, it’s also a chance to look back and give thanks for God’s blessings, His protection and provision.

We don't always like to look backwards, do we? Usually that means staring at our mistakes, our glaring failures, our regrets.

But that’s also how we realize God's goodness, His leading and guidance, and a time to reflect on His intervention and protection.

Where He led, the Israelites followed. Where He leads, I will follow.

I've been doing a lot of soul searching lately, especially in regards to my writing. God's prompting me to dig deep and try new things, to release my dreams and fears to Him, to spread my wings and soar over unfamiliar waters, to reach out and love more.

What does that mean? I don't know exactly, but I trust God. If He points to a road and says, "Go that way. I want you to meet somebody," (Acts 8:26-40), who am I to argue? I'll try not to allow fear or doubt to squelch that giant swell of anticipation that's building and rising for the journey ahead. Where He leads, I will follow.

Who does God want me to connect with this year? 
Who does God want you to meet?

When I look back over the last few years, I see how God poured out love and encouragement through my friends here at Seriously Write. How He shaped and crafted me into the writer I am today through the gracious writers who so willingly shared their talent and experiences.

With a heavy but grateful heart, I say goodbye to my sweet friends at Seriously Write today with this, my last regular post. You are some of my greatest blessings. Wishing you all a glorious Thanksgiving, continued growth in your writing, and a refreshing of your spirit in 2016!

"The Lord is my shepherd, I lack nothing. He makes me lie down in green pastures,
He leads me beside quiet waters, He refreshes my soul. He guides me along the right paths for His name’s sake." Ps 23:1-3 NIV

Dora Hiers is a multi-published author of Heart Racing, God-Gracing romances. She’s a member of RWA and her local chapter, Carolina Romance Writers. Connect with her on Seriously WriteFiction Faith & FoodiesTwitterFacebook or Pinterest.