Thursday, December 11, 2014

What Are You Going To Read In 2015? by Terri Weldon

I adore Christmas books. So while I’m reading Christmas stories and trying to find time to work in a few uninterrupted hours to write, my To Be Read (TBR) shelf is growing. I have some wonderful books on that shelf. Books I’m already making plans to read. Periodically I look longingly towards one and tell myself to hold off until January.

What about you? Do you have a TBR shelf? What book are you looking most forward to reading? I’ll confess, I can’t pick just one! There are too many good ones and more great titles are releasing after the first of the year. I’ll never catch up. But that’s OK, if I thought I’d run out of great books to read, I’d freak! Trust me, not a pretty sight.

The desire and ability to read is an awesome gift from the Lord. Non-readers may not understand that, but if you’re reading this blog I know you do. Don’t forget, Jesus told stories in the form of parables all the time. God is an author.

Is His book on your TBR shelf for 2015? If it isn’t, I encourage you to give it a place of preeminence. If it is, make sure it is the first book you reach for every day. After all, God wrote the greatest story ever told.

Each year I like to read a version of The Bible In A Year. I’ve read numerous translations and layouts over the years. In 2015 I plan on reading the New Living Translation Chronological Bible.

If you’ve never read a chronological version of the Bible I encourage you to do so. It is eye opening to see what prophets go with what kings and what Psalms, if any, are from the same timeframe.

It doesn’t matter whether you choose to read the entire Bible in 2015 or spend more time on an in depth study of a single book, you can’t go wrong reading and studying any part of God’s word.

I hope you’ll leave a comment and let me know what fiction book you’re looking to reading in 2015 and whether you plan on reading the entire Bible or if you have a particular book you plan on studying.

Oh, have yourself a Merry Christmas!

****
Purchase Link
Misty Winslow is determined to find her prince, and she meets the man of her dreams through an Internet dating service. Or is he, because the new dentist in town also sets her heart aflutter.

It's love at first sight for Tyler Davenport, but before he can finish his first root canal, Misty is involved in an exclusive online romance with Wes99—Tyler’s online persona. How can he tell her he’s the man she’s been waiting to meet, and how rational is it for him to be jealous of Wes99! Soon Tyler's pulling out all the stops to woo Misty.

As Christmas approaches, Wes99 and Tyler both ask her to meet them under the mistletoe. Which man will she choose?


Terri Weldon
Terri is a lead analyst by day and an author by night. She enjoys gardening, reading, and playing in the hand bell choir. One of her favorite pastimes is volunteering as the librarian at her church. It allows her to shop for books and spend someone else’s money! Plus, she has the great joy of introducing people to Christian fiction.

She lives with her family in Oklahoma. Terri has three dogs – a lovable mutt and two adorable Westies.


Terri is a member of ACFW and OCFW, a local chapter of ACFW. Her dream of becoming a published novelist came true in November 2013 when Mistletoe Magic, released from White Rose Publishing. To learn more about Terri visit her website at www.TerriWeldon.com.

21 comments:

  1. I've heard good things about The Story (The Story, NIV: The Bible as One Continuing Story of God and His People). So I'm going to start with that, because I do need that chronological understanding.

    Novels? Oh, there are so many good ones. I've decided to try out those Joel C. Rosenberg books, so they're on my list, and I'm looking forward to them. And I'm hoping my favorite authors release new books--Charles Martin, Athol Dickson, Robert Crais (not Christian, but great fun). And I love reading my friends' books. Hint, hint, Terri. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robin - I may have to try reading The Story. That's an interesting concept.

      Your friends need to write faster so you'll have more to read! LOL

      Delete
  2. Terri, I've never heard of the chronological Bible but now I want one! I'm frequently confused by which era goes with which other part of the Bible, so this would be awesome.
    Fiction wise, I have so many piled up waiting to be read, but I have Janet Lee Barton's A Home for Her Heart on my desk. It must be next!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda - make The Chronological Bible s last minute addition to your Christmas list. You'll enjoy it. You can even map out who goes with who. I'm hoping to learn more about those Kings this year!

      All Janet Lee Barton's books are great, so you can't go wrong reading A Home Gor Her Heart!

      Delete
  3. Our church did a "read through the Bible" last year using the Chronological Bible. I didn't do it, but our library has the Bible. I need to look at it.

    Fiction? I'd like to get through some of the ones I've downloaded on my e-reader app, along with so many good ones we've ordered through the church library. One at a time! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandy - you are a church librarian's dream. Trust me, I'm a church librarian and I love hearing people talk about checking books out. I hope you'll read The Chronological Bible.

      Last night someone donated A Most Inconvenient Marriage by Regina Jennings to our library. I love donations!

      Delete
    2. Ah, then we have something else in common, Terri. I work in the library on Wednesday nights--just a helper. Our librarian asked me because she wanted to expand her fiction authors and thought I could help. That was about three years ago. I love working in there.

      Delete
  4. Great post, Terri. I loved reading the Chronological Bible! And I'm thinking of reading one again in 2015.
    As for fiction--I have a pile of Christmas stories calling me, but I'm also on deadline and am only getting to read a bit here and there. However, I did read Linda Goodnight's, Cowboy Under The Mistletoe and loved it! And I loved your Mistletoe Magic so much, I may have to read it again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janet - glad you are considering another read through of The Chronologicsl Bible.

      You are so nice! I'm glad you enjoyed Mistletoe Magic and hope you find time to read it again.

      Delete
  5. Terri, I've never read a chronological Bible before. You've inspired me to try it!

    As for the TBR stack. Mine is overtaking the house! And my e-book "stack" is even bigger. I'll never read them all but keep buying just about every day when I hear about another I'd like to read. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This may turn out to be the year of The Chronological Bible! I hope you enjoy it.

      The nice thing about ebooks is no one can tell how many books we are hiding on that one slim devise. LOL

      Delete
  6. I haven't read the Bible chronologically before. I should try that sometime. I did read the Bible in a year in 2013 and ended up reading almost all of it on my phone. :)

    I love Christmas novellas. I loved yours. Robin Patchen has a great one. Right now I'm reading A Cliche Christmas. It's so busy this time of year, novellas are perfect for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julie - we have a read the Bible in a year program at church and lots of people choose to use the phone app. I'll have to try that sometime.

      Thanks for your kind words about Mistletoe Magic. Robin has two great novellas - One Christmas Eve and Faith House. You know, I love novellas at Christmas and I think you just explained why. They are the perfect length.

      Delete
  7. Hi Terri! I love the chronological Bible and may read it in 2015. I feel like I find something new each time I read it.

    As for my "to read" shelve I am looking forward to Mel Starr's new book as well as Janet Lee Barton's next one. I loved "Mistletoe Magic"!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey, loves to read! I'm with you, every time I read the Bible I discover something new.

    Janet Lee Barton is a popular gal today, with good reason, she writes great books. And I like Mel Starr, one more book to add to my TBR shelf.

    Thanks for your kind words about Mistletoe Magic!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey, Terri! Usually I just read from Genesis onward to Revelation, but lately, I have been considering a reading plan. You convinced me to give the Chronological Bible a try! Just purchased one today.

    Am I the only one who has trouble squeezing in fictional reading over the holidays? From Thanksgiving until after Christmas I get very little reading in. But EVERY TEAR A MEMORY by Myra Johnson's calling my name, and JUST ONE KISS by Wendy Davy, TRUST OF THE HEART by E.A. West, and CELTIC CROSS by Tammy Doherty...they're all lined up on my kindle, ready to go.

    Merry Christmas, Terri!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Merry Christmas Dora! I'm so glad you purchased a chronological Bible, hope you love it.

    It is hard to find time to read during the holidays. That is why Julie's idea about novellas is so great. Speaking of which, I need to read Christmas InThe Rink by Dora Hiers. Oh, I have been reading Mr. Miracle by Debbie Macomber at lunch at work.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love reading through the Bible in a year! Haven't picked out my version for this year though. I'm thinking about one I haven't read in a while, and maybe chronologically. I've done that once before and it was a great experience. You really get the sense for the over arching story of mankind that way.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I agree Erin. It's been a while since I read the chronological version and I'm looking forward to it. I like trying out all the different versions.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Terri,

    I've used the One Year Bible before and loved it but I've never read a chronological Bible before. That sounds fascinating and I'd love to do it in 2015.

    I'm looking forward to Mesu Andrews' biblical fiction novel, The Pharaoh's Daughter that comes out around March. And The Wind in the Wire by Janet Chester Bly is on my TBR list right now.

    I hope you have a very Merry Christmas, Terri! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Merry Christmas Angie! I hope you do read the chronological Bible in 2015.

    All these good fiction titles are killing me. I keep learning about more good books! I so admire Biblical fiction authors. There is so much research required, but the stories are fascinating.

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear your thoughts! Please leave comments. We'll moderate and post them!