Monday, June 20, 2016

Time by Marianne Evans

Marianne Evans
Time. It’s the most precious commodity we have, and we each have it equally. 365 days in a year, 24 hours in a day, 60 seconds in each precious minute. Spend it wisely. With purpose. With love and gratitude for all you’ve been given.

Time. It’s on my mind because 'time' is where I’ve been most besieged recently. Let me set the stage. Over the past few months, I’ve been polishing up my WIP, a Christmas novella I intend to deliver to my editor in a couple of weeks. However, each and every time I come upon the freedom to work on my writing and devote full focus to my book, life happens. Meaningful, important events, circumstances, obligations, that nonetheless encroach on the mission I hold most precious. My writing.

Time. Rationing time is always a choice. I have the freedom to choose how I allocate those hours, minutes and seconds. That’s the beauty, and pain, of time. I have a family to care for, I have a full-time job, I have publishing contract deadlines, I have a grandbaby I want to spend time with and spoil. Juggling time has become a monumental issue for me of late, and I came upon a quote that lent me some peace, and I hope it does the same for you. It comes from an actor I respect and admire very much, Jim Caviezel. Jim says: "Freedom doesn't exist to give you the right to do as you'd like; freedom exists to give you the right to do as you ought."

That's my conviction recently when it comes to writing and finding time to write. I have the choice to do as I wish - to forsake many important things in life, or I can do as I ought, and trust God to bring me where He wants and needs me to be with the time and energy He allows. It's not easy, but I'm going to try my best to always--always
 choose God's way.

How are you facing and handling time management issues? I'd love to hear about your journey, and your words just might encourage others.


~~~~~

Marianne Evans is an award-winning author of Christian romance and fiction. Her hope is to spread the faith-affirming message of God’s love through the stories He prompts her to create. Devotion, earned the Bookseller’s Best Award as well as the Heart of Excellence Award. Hearts Communion earned a win for Best Romance from the Christian Small Publisher's Association. Then & Now and Finding Home both won the Selah award for Best Romance and Best Novella Marianne is a lifelong resident of Michigan and an active member of Romance Writers of America, most notably in the Greater Detroit chapter where she served two terms as President.

~~~~~



Country music bad boy Chase Bradington is on the comeback trail. Fresh from rehab for alcohol addiction, and transformed by the power of Christ, Chase is battling to rediscover the music he loves and a career he nearly ruined. Then he meets up and comer, Pyper Brock, and instantly sparks ignite.

Pyper knows of Chase’s reputation, so despite a rampant attraction to the handsome and talented icon, she soundly dismisses his romantic overtures. Decades ago, her father, in a drunken rage, tossed her and her mother onto the streets. No way will Pyper make the mistake of falling for a man whose done battle with the bottle.

What happens when Chase’s quest to win Pyper’s love breaks down chains of resentment and eases the long buried wounds of her childhood? And what happens when Pypers father shows up in Nashville, clean, sober and seeking a chance to apologize?

Can Pyper follow a pathway to peace when it comes to her father? Can she fully trust Chase? Above all, can a sin damaged past be released in favor of forgiveness?

Releasing 11/1/2016 ~ Available for pre-order now at Amazon.com in PRINT and E-BOOK formats

16 comments:

  1. So true. It takes great discipline to forego the good things in life to write. I haven't acquired such discipline, but am working on it and appreciate your encouragement. Love the quote.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad to hear that, Cathy! Glad you found benefit in the post! Sometimes 'doing what I ought' is writing - sometimes it isn't. Achieving that balance, and discernment is up to God, and I need to listen - and heed. :-) Thanks for the visit, and be blessed!!!! <3

      Delete
  2. Love that quote, Marianne. I'm right there with you on the time issue. Sometimes it's difficult to prioritize. That's when we need to be more tuned in to God's leading. I'll admit I sometimes have trouble with that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ME, TOO, Sandra! Glad I'm not alone!! <3 It's tough to balance the things we do in this life, because at times, there are numerous 'good' things we need to do and be part of...... Thanks for sharing!!!

      Delete
  3. Wonderful quote, Marianne. I struggle with the same things you do. Too often I think I have time blocked out to write, then a daughter will call and I'll spend an hour on the phone. But how can I not see that as valuable time when she wants to share her life with me? Or when my husband has had a bad day at work and needs to process what happened? Or a friend asks me to go to lunch with her? Relationships are important. I also spend one day a week taking care of my toddler grandson. One day a week = 4 days a month. That's a chunk of time. But those days are too precious to give up.

    I have to trust that God will honor those choices and provide the right amount of "time" to fulfill my other responsibilities.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Dawn - PRECISELY!!! I'm soooo right there with you! Spot on, and thanks for YOUR encouragement! Blessings, my friend!

      Delete
  4. Such a relatable post, Marianne! Your memes with quotes are fitting too. I think managing time becomes even more difficult in the midst of change or just following big changes (like a new grandchild joining the family or a move, both of which are familiar in my own life). Here's hoping that some of the time issues will settle after the adjustments. Thank you for sharing your time here on Seriously Write! You are a blessing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Annette, you're a blessing in return, trust me. I love being part of the SW Family, and I'm glad I'm not alone in the 'time crunch' 'adjustment' struggle. It can drain you, but it can also empower you when you learn to trust, which seems to be my ongoing process of late! LOL! Hugs!! <3

      Delete
  5. Marianne, God has been dealing with me and how I spend my time. Your post reinforced those dealings. You took away all my excuses! LOL. I needed them stripped away. Thank you, you spoke to my heart today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Terri, THANK YOU. I appreciate that encouragement so much because it simply proves how God can use our struggles to lift people up when we share our heart. Blessings to you, and thank you for speaking to MY heart as well, my friend! <3 xo

      Delete
  6. Hi Marianne,
    I just love your way with words. Time. I thought when we retired I would have all the time I wanted for the things I wanted. NOT so. Lots of people think they need to fill our time because after all we have so much of it now. lol. I read a book The Best yes and it has seemed to help me some. I also find on those days when i do have lots of time I seem to wast it on other things, like relaxing. Time management is a big struggle for me as well but more in the line of good use of it and saying yes to the best yes not just everything.
    Thank you so much for sharing your time and reminders with us. You are a treasure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Renette, what a great thought: The BEST Yes. I absolutely love it. Sometimes finding our way to that answer is tricky, but God will provide. I'm so blessed by your visit - thanks!!! <3 xo

      Delete
  7. Great post Marianne...thanks for the reminder!
    Good luck and God's blessings.
    PamT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Pam!! I appreciate the well wishes - they're given right back to you, m'dear!! <3

      Delete
  8. Words of wisdom from such an author extraordinaire!! All too often it's easy to totally miss how God really wants us to use our time. I find it can be quite a struggle to balance all the "want to's" and "must do's" with all the "ought to's". In all honesty though, during this particular season of my life, I am challenged with actually having TOO MUCH time on my hands, and NOT ENOUGH discernment on how to spend each moment. How I long to fill my days with activities and opportunities that are impactful and purposeful instead of seemingly mundane! For the first time in my life, I struggle with filling the hours and minutes of my day...I have too much freedom! If I'm not specifically seeking God on how to spend my time and disciplined to follow His instruction, I can end up wandering about aimlessly throughout my day, missing all the blessing that could have been there had I listened and followed His leading!! Keeping you in prayer, Marianne, as you continue to write for God's glory. May He bless your time and multiply your efforts as you honor Him with the amazing gifts He's given you...may He give you the desires of your heart as you balance the important and essentials in life!! Love you, dear sister!! Thanks for such timely words of wisdom!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sheila, your perspective from the other side of the fence is amazing and so enlightening. Thank you for sharing your heart! You're a treasure and blessing!!! Trust me, God knows you're with Him, and that you're a good and faithful servant. Hugs and love, dear one! <3

      Delete

We'd love to hear your thoughts! Please leave comments. We'll moderate and post them!