Thursday, September 14, 2017

The Art of Over Committing by Terri Weldon

Throughout the years I’ve tried my hand at a number of things, some I mastered, and many I didn’t. But there is one thing I’ve learned to excel at – over committing. Hmm, I don’t think I’m hearing anyone cheering.  Don’t feel bad, it doesn’t make me happy either. In fact, it’s been known to cause me a great deal of stress, something none of us needs added to our lives. 
So why do I do it? Well, all the things I committed to were worthwhile, even fun. And doesn’t Proverbs 6:9 say, “How long wilt thou sleep, O sluggard? When wilt thou arise out of they sleep?” Yep, it does. The problem with me quoting that verse is I was guilty of finding a Bible verse to justify my actions. Not smart. 

To live a healthy, well balanced life we have to make choices. My day job is a necessity, so I have to allocate a huge chunk of my time to the job. That means I can’t commit to so many evening activities that I can’t function at work or I end up sick from lack of rest.

Writing is dear to my heart. If I’m going to commit to being an author then I have to choose other activities to give up. That’s a real problem for me. I want it all. Do I sound like a two-year-old? Trust me, I’ve acted like one from time to time. 

Recently, I’ve come to the realization that I have to prioritize. Pick out the things that are nearest to my heart, the things God wants me to do, and start letting the rest go. Yeah, it is hard and if you were to ask the people closest to me how I’m doing at not over committing, well, they’d probably laugh.

I feel like I’m doing better. At least now I realize it is a problem. With that realization also came an awareness that by committing to so many “good” things that I never spent time on the things I love the most. That was an eye opener. So let me leave you with a different verse, Proverbs 16:9, “A man’s heart deviseth his way: but the Lord directeth his steps.” Spend your time wisely, my friends.

If you have tips for keep balance in your life I hope you’ll leave a comment and share your wisdom with me. Trust me, I can use all the help I can get!

Pastor Jacob Thompson is in need of a director for the living nativity program and veterinarian Molly Kincaid offers to take on the job. The task involves far more than Molly bargained for, nonetheless she’d do anything to help out the man she secretly loves – even sew costumes or cast eight-year-old Wesley Simpson as an angel.
Jacob’s daughter Emma longs to have a mommy of her own, but the widowed pastor has vowed to never remarry, and isn’t ready to open his heart to love again. Molly dreams of filling the void in both their lives, but fears she lacks the necessary qualities to be a pastor’s wife.
As Molly and Jacob work together on the living nativity, their feelings for one another grow. Will Molly realize she is just what Jacob and Emma need in their lives? Can Jacob be released from his grief stricken promise? Could this unlikely duo prove to be a match made in heaven?

Terri Weldon is a lead analyst by day and an award winning author by night. Her novella The Christmas Bride Wore Boots won the best novella category in the 2016 Lyra Awards. She enjoys traveling, gardening, reading, spending time with her family, and shopping for shoes. One of her favorite pastimes is volunteering as the librarian at her church. It allows her to shop for books and spend someone else’s money! Plus, she has the great joy of introducing people to Christian fiction. She lives with her family in the Heartland of the United States. Terri has two adorable Westies – Crosby and Nolly Grace. Terri is a member of ACFW and RWA. She is a member of the Seriously Write Team (www.seriouslywrite.blogspot.com). Readers can connect with Terri at www.terriweldon.com
The Matchmakers
The Christmas Bride Wore Boots
Mistletoe Magic



16 comments:

  1. We are human beings, not human doings.

    ;) not my words...I think Joyce Meyer said this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Terri, I've been on that merry-go-round and hopped off for a few years. I edit for money, and I sing in the choir for joy and to lead others into worship. It's hard to carve out a chunk of time every day to write. For me it's getting up at 5:00 a.m. But this morning, I broke my cardinal rule. Never look at social media or my email before I write. Because here I am again. I've spent an hour and fifteen minutes online. So for now, I bid you adieu. Your post was a good reminder to prioritize. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barbara, I don't know if I should be flattered or feel guilty for breaking your routine! lol

      Sounds like you lead a busy life, but all your obligations are worthy ones.

      I LOVE that you've carved a writing time out. Plus you've given it a high place of priority. Kudos to you! That's what I need to do.

      Delete
  3. Alas, I have no tips for you, Terri. Balance has been my keyword this year. I'm working on it. But it's nice to know I'm in good company! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right back at you, Sandy! lNice to know I'm not alone. lol

      Excellent word of the year and I bet you end the year having learned something. Then you can share. ;-)

      Delete
  4. It's so easy to do, isn't it? Because so many things are valuable or important or just plain fun! I gave up balance in my life and decided to pour myself wholeheartedly into what I do. Between writing, editing my own work, freelance editing for others, and keeping up with email and social media, I stare at this computer screen at least 10 hours a day. I try to walk. I often have lunch with friends--I'd wither away without time with my friends! I spend time with my husband and kids when they're available, and I volunteer occasionally, but mostly, it's me and this keyboard and that screen. Balance? What's balance?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robin, I always look at you and all you accomplish and admire how focused you are. I feel like I flit around from one thing to the next.

      Ten hours a day is a lot of time on the computer. You do all that and then manage a family, volunteer, and spend time with friends. Sounds impressive to me.

      Oh, and I love that you enjoy lunching with friends. Same here. ;-)

      Delete
  5. It's so easy to do and such s painful process to undo! Thanks for the wonderful post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Loves to Read, you are spot on! Easy to do and a painful process to undo.

      Plus this applies to all walks of life - not just writing.

      Delete
  6. all right, this is the second post i've seen along these lines - the other day i saw a short-n-sweet post to the effect, "my blog is suffering because i'm on a writing deadline." i took that to heart and deferred a couple of my own posts - you know, ones that I took on 'cause i wanna do it all.... why do we do this to ourselves??? are we TWO??? hee hee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Robin, that made me laugh. Why do we do these things to ourselves?

      You and I both will strive to find balance.

      Delete
  7. Oh, man...I've struggled with taking on too much as well. But, with my hubby's prodding, I'm getting better at finding balance. Still a work in progress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dawn, you've given me hope! It is possible to improve. I keep trying so maybe one day I'll do better as well.

      I'm a work in progress as well.

      Delete
  8. Hey everyone, I apologize for answering all your great comments so late in the day. Busy day at work!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree with Dawn. It's good to have somebody in our lives to help us realize when we take on too much.

    We're all works in progress. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jackie, you and Dawn are right. Sometimes we need that person to help us do a sanity check.

      Delete

We'd love to hear your thoughts! Please leave comments. We'll moderate and post them!